Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C Help; generating a random number. Post 302359765 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 10:36:31 AM
Old 10-07-2009
Do not reseed. Otherwise you keep getting the same value.

PNG's are setup to generate a series of random numbers from a single starting point. Reseeding before every call to rand() "undoes" that. IT does NOT randomize better.

From your 'truly random' statement I'm getting the idea that you may not know too much about random numbers generators and their limitations. Random means that you have an equal chance of getting any number, including the one you just got before. For rand() that means you are supposed to have an equal chance for any number 1 - RAND_MAX. rand() is not a great PNG.

Try lrand48(). It is somewhat better and is there on most all unix boxes.
-- Seed it only once.

Do not use any of these functions for cryptographic applications.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating random numbers with hamming distance 4

Hi I want to genrate 10 random 32 bit binary numbers with hamming distance 4 and 8. 11010110010101010101010101010101 11010110010101010100010101010010 if we look carefully at these two binary numbers they differ at 4 places hence hamming distance 4. Now I want to genrate these numbers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hack_tom
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random number within a specific range (0.5-1.5)

Hello, need a way to generate numbers within 0.5-1.5 range Has to be totally random: 0.6 1.1 0.8 1.5 0.6 and so on.... How to? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

4. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

5. Programming

Generating Random Number in Child Process using Fork

Hello All, I am stuck up in a program where the rand functions ends up giving all the same integers. Tried sleep, but the numbers turned out to be same... Can anyone help me out how to fix this issue ? I have called the srand once in the program, but I feel like when I call fork the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating 512MB file with dd using random data

Hello. Could anyone help me with my little annoying problem? I have to generate a 512 MB file made up with random data using DD. After some internet digging I found out that the command is: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/exemple/file bs=512MB After running this command the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razolo13
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
RANDOM(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random , urandom -- random data source devices. SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device random DESCRIPTION
The random device produces uniformly distributed random byte values of potentially high quality. To obtain random bytes, open /dev/random for reading and read from it. To add entropy to the random generation system, open /dev/random for writing and write data that you believe to be somehow random. /dev/urandom is a compatibility nod to Linux. On Linux, /dev/urandom will produce lower quality output if the entropy pool drains, while /dev/random will prefer to block and wait for additional entropy to be collected. With Yarrow, this choice and distinction is not necessary, and the two devices behave identically. You may use either. OPERATION
The random device implements the Yarrow pseudo random number generator algorithm and maintains its entropy pool. Addditional entropy is fed to the generator regularly by the SecurityServer daemon from random jitter measurements of the kernel. SecurityServer is also responsible for periodically saving some entropy to disk and reloading it during startup to provide entropy in early system operation. You may feed additional entropy to the generator by writing it to the random device, though this is not required in a normal operating envi- ronment. LIMITATIONS AND WARNINGS
Yarrow is a fairly resilient algorithm, and is believed to be resistant to non-root. The quality of its output is however dependent on regu- lar addition of appropriate entropy. If the SecurityServer system daemon fails for any reason, output quality will suffer over time without any explicit indication from the random device itself. Paranoid programmers can counter-act this risk somewhat by collecting entropy of their choice (e.g. from keystroke or mouse timings) and seeding it into random directly before obtaining important random numbers. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom HISTORY
A random device appeared in Linux operating system. Darwin September 6, 2001 Darwin