Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl - how can we name a variable base on value of another variable Post 302359513 by cacm1975 on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 08:43:42 PM
Old 10-06-2009
perl - how can we name a variable base on value of another variable

Hey all,

perl - how can we name a variable base on the value of another variable?

for example in ksh/bash we do :

export c="100"
export x`echo $c`=2000
echo $x100
x100=2000

is it possible to do something similar for perl?

I already tried many ways but nothing is working.

I am trying to solve a issue in an perl script and the solution that i am trying to do should have different variables.

Can someone please help me on this?

Thanks in advance.
Carlos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to perl

I need a non-perl (bash) way to strip the path from a list of "find" results. Below is the perl version which I could use, if I could figure out how to call the script with a variable (like in sh, $1 is the variable passed in ./script variable) $file = "/path/to/file.txt"; # How do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variable in a variable in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to convert the below Csh while loop into Perl while loop but the problem is that in this csh script, i have 2 variables inside a variable -> $count is a variable {SB$count} as a whole is another variable. Csh is able to assign values to such variable like the below but i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable created base on other var value

hi, i'm trying to create a script in ksh that will check build logs for errors. i'm using a variable to hold the grep, somthing like: grepErr=`echo "grep -i -e ' error ' -e ' errors ' -e 'rror(s)' -e 'Unsatisfied ' -e 'Undefined symbol' -e 'No rule ' -e 'Cannot' -e 'rror:' -e 'Could not find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavinia_f
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl get variable value ???

hi i have following code my $a1 = "A" ; my $a2 = "B" ; my $a3 = "C" ; foreach my $k ( 1,2,3 ) { my $msg = ${a{$k}} # this should be at runtime i am creating variable a1 and assigning it value to msg . print "$msg\n" ; } above thing is not working !!! i want when k = 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - setting a variable ?

hi there, I have a question about a snippet of code i have which runs localtime() to convert the current date/time into a mysql happy format my ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst)=localtime(time); printf "%4d-%02d-%02d ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Use of a variable in a tr

Hi, I want to count the number of occurences of a character in a string variable ($str). The character is stored in a another variable ($sepchr). I am using tr as : $count = ($str =~ tr/$sepchr//); This did not work. I found in another thread about using eval. I used eval as : ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl help - how to assign output of perl to variable

Hi, guys, i have a script i inherited from a coworker but i'm not perl savy. The script works but i would like it to work better. I want to run this command ./ciscomgrtest.pl -r "show version" -h hosts.router and have the script goto each router in the hosts.router file and run the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whipuras
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL $0 variable

In PERL , $0 variable displays program name ( if we use inside script) .likewise is there a way to display program name and it's arguments passed to script . e.g. test.pl -a1 -b3 -c4 inside test.pl , if I use $0 , it gives me test.pl ..but I am looking for command to get complete program... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)