Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Please advise me.
Operating Systems Linux Please advise me. Post 302359477 by Corona688 on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 04:54:31 PM
Old 10-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality
Can anyone help me out here...by the way...I'm not looking for the type of training that teaches you the GUI of UNIX\LINUX...
That's good, since there is no "the gui" for Linux anyway. Haven't found a GUI yet that properly covers everything Linux can do, they always seem to forget the bits that don't look like Windows.
Quote:
I'm talking about terminal line, scripting, all the real hard-stuff...
Windows commandline shell is really hard. Use a real shell and you'll wonder how you managed without it. Smilie
Quote:
I need some basics first, but I know I can learn it quickly to move onto the harder stuff. I just don't know where to start with the experience I already have? If that makes sense?
I once wrote some material to start off people used to GUI interfaces. A little searching this forum will also net you dozens of better books.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need your advise for which version ?

Hi ... I'm new when it comes to using a computer , I have in the last few years kind of learn Windows xp but I find that Microsoft is ripping people off with their operating system and I would very much like to try to learn Unix operating system , so far all I know about Linux/Unix its totally... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terryfox
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am one of the newbies, please advise

I am new to UNIX and Linux. I have some experiences with Windows server. I am thinking to start with those OS (Unix/Linux) and more specifically with the OS for the server. however, i have no idea which one would i start first, unix or linux? Because i also dont know how they are different. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanlen
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

your advise on mysql, please

My intention is to set up a mysql on unix. Could you provide some info, please, useful for realization of the plan (other than "read the documentation" that will be done anyway)? vaguely yours` sehrguey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serguey
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advise on HP unix

Hi everyone I need help i want to learn Unix and do some certification on Unix Hp the reason why i choose Hp is because the company that i work for uses HP and interested in knowing a lt more about what i do i montor the unix server (disk space CPU usage memory utilization,proceeses job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liema
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Experts !!! Please advise

Hi, I work on sun Solaris. Am hosting few web services on my server which are accessed over the internet. Now to check whether the web service is responding or not, i first have to log in to the web service URL. If it doesn't respond there, i come back to my server box and restart the service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sting672744
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

advise some script to make the changes..!!

Hi Folks, got the solution..!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuntun
5 Replies

7. Linux

Need Advise on various Linux Install

Hi all, First off, Happy New Year. Just recently bought a Gateway/Acer 16GB laptop that comes pre-installed with Windows8 and 500GB drive. I also bought a 1TB external drive. I need to install several Linux Distros on it, Ubuntu, CentOS, Oracle Linux, Fedora, SuSE, that's just for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Advise on os.path in python

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm writing a python script to give me the number of files and directories in a given directory and I'm having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would you like to advise a beginner !

Im new in unix, I learned some commands, I have a small idea in MS Dos Would you like to advise me where and how to start ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BaxxterHp
2 Replies
VOP_ADVISE(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					     VOP_ADVISE(9)

NAME
VOP_ADVISE -- apply advice about use of file data SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/vnode.h> int VOP_ADVISE(struct vnode *vp, off_t start, off_t end, int advice); DESCRIPTION
This call applies advice for a range of a file's data. It is used to implement the posix_fadvise system call. Its arguments are: vp The vnode of the file. start The start of the range of file data. end The end of the range of file data. advice The type of operation to apply to the file data. Possible values are: POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED Initiate an asynchronous read of the file data if it is not already resident. POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED Decrease the in-memory priority of clean file data or discard clean file data. If the start and end offsets are both zero, then the operation should be applied to the entire file. Note that this call is advisory only and may perform the requested operation on a subset of the requested range (including not performing it at all) and still return success. LOCKS
The file should be unlocked on entry. RETURN VALUES
Zero is returned if the call is successful, otherwise an appropriate error code is returned. ERRORS
[EINVAL] An invalid value was given for advice. SEE ALSO
vnode(9) BSD
October 3, 2013 BSD