Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: csplit issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting csplit issue Post 302359366 by uandme2k2 on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 11:13:08 AM
Old 10-06-2009
csplit issue

Hello all

The below command works perfeft when executed from the shell prompt.

"csplit -f first Allocation.log.1 "%. Oct 02 .%" {1} "

and generates first00 file.

But it fails if I include the same command in my script.

I am trying to automate some process and this is turning out to be an unachievable task for me...can somebody help me please...it is urgent.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

csplit problem....please help me

Dear Friends, please help me. I am using csplit to split the files, i.e., csplit -f filetype_ -n 3 filename '/regexpn/' {5} which will split file "filename" into 5 subfiles filetype_000 filetype_001 filetype_002 filetype_003 filetype_004 but if I run the csplit commad again it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

csplit not behaving

I have a large file with the first 2 characters of each line determining the type of record. type 03 being a subheader and then it will have multiple 04 records. eg: 03,xxx,xxxx,xxxx 04,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03,xxx,xxx,xxx ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files using Csplit

I have an excel file with more than 65K records... Since excel does not take more than 65K records i wan to split the file and send it as two excel files... Could some help me how to use the csplit by specifiying the no of records (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: savitha
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with csplit

Hi All, I have a strange behaviour from csplit command on some text files. I have a comma separated file and data with in double quotes. This file is being generated from Sequential stage of Data stage tool. This file has 67 fields in each records with some null and blank in the data.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

csplit suffix-format: how to?

I am using GNU csplit to extract chapters from a big file into smaller files. I want to use the -b option -b, --suffix-format=FORMAT use sprintf FORMAT instead of %d but I have failed so far. 1) All the generated files need to have a suffix .txt at the end 2) They have to look like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MarioColuzzi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSPLIT help

I have a file with contents <wmqi> sdf sdf sdffghghhjjfh </wmqi> <wmqi> gh dfg hhjhj sdfsdf g </wmqi> <wmqi> dfgdf fg dfgfg </wmqi> <wmqi> (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit to stdout

I want to split big files based on a pattern to stdout. Although csplit works well for me splitting the output into separate files (e.g. xx00, xx01, xx02, ...), the following is not working as expected: <code> # assuming pattern occurs less than 100 times csplit bigfile '%pattern%'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple csplit problem

Hello am trying to split the following top output at the TTY line but having some issues: System: msisprd Sun Oct 9 09:35:37 2011 Load averages: 0.14, 0.17, 0.16 411 processes: 361 sleeping, 50 running Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE SYS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux csplit command

Input file: CLK00027 TESTDATA 0 S 600000 \r 0001RFC 192321 321321 321321 \r 0002 rfd this is testdata1 CLK00027 TESTDATA 0 S 600000 \r 0001RFC 192321 321321 321321 \r 0002 rfd this is testdata2 I Need to split this file into seperate files file1.txt CLK00027 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VXANDERB
1 Replies
CSPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CSPLIT(1)

NAME
csplit -- split files based on context SYNOPSIS
csplit [-ks] [-f prefix] [-n number] file args ... DESCRIPTION
The csplit utility splits file into pieces using the patterns args. If file is a dash ('-'), csplit reads from standard input. Files are created with a prefix of ``xx'' and two decimal digits. The size of each file is written to standard output as it is created. If an error occurs whilst files are being created, or a HUP, INT, or TERM signal is received, all files previously written are removed. The options are as follows: -f prefix Create file names beginning with prefix, instead of ``xx''. -k Do not remove previously created files if an error occurs or a HUP, INT, or TERM signal is received. -n number Create file names beginning with number of decimal digits after the prefix, instead of 2. -s Do not write the size of each output file to standard output as it is created. The args operands may be a combination of the following patterns: /regexp/[[+|-]offset] Create a file containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the next line matching the given basic reg- ular expression. An optional offset from the line that matched may be specified. %regexp%[[+|-]offset] Same as above but a file is not created for the output. line_no Create containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the specified line number. {num} Repeat the previous pattern the specified number of times. If it follows a line number pattern, a new file will be created for each line_no lines, num times. The first line of the file is line number 1 for historic reasons. After all the patterns have been processed, the remaining input data (if there is any) will be written to a new file. Requesting to split at a line before the current line number or past the end of the file will result in an error. The csplit utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of csplit as described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Split the mdoc(7) file foo.1 into one file for each section (up to 20): $ csplit -k foo.1 '%^.Sh%' '/^.Sh/' '{20}' Split standard input after the first 99 lines and every 100 lines thereafter: $ csplit -k - 100 '{19}' SEE ALSO
sed(1), split(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The csplit utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2004 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A csplit command appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
January 4, 2009 BSD