Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rename - change n'th character of regexp Post 302359248 by pms on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 06:00:57 AM
Old 10-06-2009
rename - change n'th character of regexp

Hi,

I wonder if its possible to do the following task using rename (perl v5.8.8).

I want to find filenames matching the specific pattern and then change chosen character of this pattern to a given character, e.g. do the following renaming:
regexp: 'a[12]b' -----> 'a0b'

What's the simplest solution for this? Is one-line rename possible?

Thx!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change function structure with perl (regExp)

Hello all i have some function what looks like this class.method("servantName").servantMethod(arg1,arg2,arg3) now i need to convert it to : class.method("servantName","servantMethod",arg1,arg2,arg3); is there any wasy way to do that consider that the arg1+2+3 can be also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl RegExp to remove last character from strings

I use SAS (a statistical software) and have to remove last character or the last 1/2 numbers that appear after characters from the string using Perl Regular Expression (which is recognized by SAS). Input: f183ii10 f183ii2 f182ii1 f182ii2 f183iim f22ii f22ii11 f22ii12 pmh4 pmhm Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to rename or change file extension case.

I searched the forum, but there was different type of rename. Hello. I have files in folder. Like: xxxxxxxx1.html or xxxxxxxx2.txt or xxxxxxxx3.tar.gz and how to rename or change file extension case to xxxxxxxx1.htm or xxxxxxx2.TXT or (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheldon
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt with regexp-meta character

Hi, I am learning reg exp a bit :) Meta char info: {n,m} Matches the preceding character at least n times but not more than m times, for example, 'ba{2,3}b' will find 'baab' and 'baaab' but NOT 'bab' or 'baaaab'. Values are enclosed in braces (curly brackets). Input file: 112 11112... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp for string that might contain a given character

I'm probably just not thinking of the correct term to search for :-) But I want to match a pattern that might be 'ABC' or '1ABC' there might be three characters, or there might be four, but if there are four, the first has to be 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter non-alpha character with grep/regexp

Hi all, I am trying to filter out those lines that contain a "non-alpha" character. An example of my input is the following: zygnematales grb zygocactus grb zygocactus_truncatus plt zygodactyl_foot prt zygoma prt zygomatic prt zygomatic_arch prt zygomatic_bone ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
WILDMAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							WILDMAT(3)

NAME
wildmat - perform shell-style wildcard matching SYNOPSIS
int wildmat(text, pattern) char *text; char *pattern; DESCRIPTION
Wildmat is part of libinn (3). Wildmat compares the text against the pattern and returns non-zero if the pattern matches the text. The pattern is interpreted according to rules similar to shell filename wildcards, and not as a full regular expression such as those handled by the grep(1) family of programs or the regex(3) or regexp(3) set of routines. The pattern is interpreted as follows: x Turns off the special meaning of x and matches it directly; this is used mostly before a question mark or asterisk, and is not spe- cial inside square brackets. ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [x...y] Matches any single character specified by the set x...y. A minus sign may be used to indicate a range of characters. That is, [0-5abc] is a shorthand for [012345abc]. More than one range may appear inside a character set; [0-9a-zA-Z._] matches almost all of the legal characters for a host name. The close bracket, ], may be used if it is the first character in the set. The minus sign, -, may be used if it is either the first or last character in the set. [^x...y] This matches any character not in the set x...y, which is interpreted as described above. For example, [^]-] matches any character other than a close bracket or minus sign. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> in 1986, and posted to Usenet several times since then, most notably in comp.sources.misc in March, 1991. Lars Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk> enhanced the multi-asterisk failure mode in early 1991. Rich and Lars increased the efficiency of star patterns and reposted it to comp.sources.misc in April, 1991. Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au> added minus sign and close bracket handling in June, 1991. This is revision 1.10, dated 1992/04/03. SEE ALSO
grep(1), regex(3), regexp(3). WILDMAT(3)