Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print rows, having pattern in specific column... Post 302359143 by jp2542a on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 12:54:53 AM
Old 10-06-2009
Scottn's srcript works fine based on your spec. What exactly are you trying to do?

Changing the A[$1] rvalue will not change the programs execution. If what you posted represents the command line you put to the shell, then you forgot to specify the pattern and data files..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about sort specific column and print other column at the same time !

Hi, This is my input file: ali 5 usa abc abu 4 uk bca alan 6 brazil bac pinky 10 utah sdc My desired output: pinky 10 utah sdc alan 6 brazil bac ali 5 usa abc abu 4 uk bca Based on the column two, I want to do the descending order and print out other related column at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print out specific pattern column data

Input file: adc_0123 haa_1000 bcc_520 adc_0150 bcc_290 adc_0112 haa_8000 adc_0139 haa_7000 Output file: adc_0123 adc_0123 haa_1000 bcc_520 adc_0150 adc_0150 bcc_290 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column that matches specific pattern, with column data from another file

Can anyone please help with this? I have 2 files as given below. If 2nd column of file1 has pattern foo1@a, find the matching 1st column in file2 & replace 2nd column of file1 with file2's value. file1 abc_1 foo1@a .... abc_1 soo2@a ... def_2 soo2@a .... def_2 foo1@a ........ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashali
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Detect Specific Pattern and Print the Specific String after It?

I'm still beginner and maybe someone can help me. I have this input: the great warrior a, b, c and what i want to know is, with awk, how can i detect the string with 'warrior' string on it and print the a, b, and c seperately, become like this : Warrior Type a b c Im still very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radynaraya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to print only selected rows in a particular column specified by column name

Dear All, I have a data file input.csv like below. (Only five column shown here for example.) Data1,StepNo,Data2,Data3,Data4 2,1,3,4,5 3,1,5,6,7 3,2,4,5,6 5,3,5,5,6 From this I want the below output Data1,StepNo,Data2,Data3,Data4 2,1,3,4,5 3,1,5,6,7 where the second column... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting rows where the value in a specific column match

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where I want to delete all rows that have the same string for column 1. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Example Input: aa 1 aa 2 aa 3 bb 4 bc 5 bb 6 cd 8 Output: bc 5 cd 8 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print multiple specific column after a specific word?

Hello.... Pls help me (and sorry my english) :) So I have a file (test.txt) with 1 long line.... for example: isgc jsfh udgf osff 8462 error iwzr 653 idchisfb isfbisfb sihfjfeb isfhsi gcz eifh How to print after the "error" word the 2nd 4th 5th and 7th word?? output well be: 653 isfbisfb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinandco
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If pattern in column 3 matches pattern in column 2 (any row), print value in column 1

Hi all, I have searched and searched, but I have not found a solution that quite fits what I am trying to do. I have a long list of data in three columns. Below is a sample: 1,10,8 2,12,10 3,13,12 4,14,14 5,15,16 6,16,18 Please use code tags What I need to do is as follows: If a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bleedingturnip
4 Replies
switch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 switch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
switch - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
switch ?options? string pattern body ?pattern body ...? switch ?options? string {pattern body ?pattern body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The switch command matches its string argument against each of the pattern arguments in order. As soon as it finds a pattern that matches string it evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. If the last pattern argument is default then it matches anything. If no pattern argument matches string and no default is given, then the switch command returns an empty string. If the initial arguments to switch start with - then they are treated as options. The following options are currently supported: -exact Use exact matching when comparing string to a pattern. This is the default. -glob When matching string to the patterns, use glob-style matching (i.e. the same as implemented by the string match command). -regexp When matching string to the patterns, use regular expression matching (as described in the re_syntax reference page). -- Marks the end of options. The argument following this one will be treated as string even if it starts with a -. Two syntaxes are provided for the pattern and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line switch commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unnec- essary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the pattern arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or vari- able substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. If a body is specified as ``-'' it means that the body for the next pattern should also be used as the body for this pattern (if the next pattern also has a body of ``-'' then the body after that is used, and so on). This feature makes it possible to share a single body among several patterns. Beware of how you place comments in switch commands. Comments should only be placed inside the execution body of one of the patterns, and not intermingled with the patterns. Below are some examples of switch commands: switch abc a - b {format 1} abc {format 2} default {format 3} will return 2, switch -regexp aaab { ^a.*b$ - b {format 1} a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 1, and switch xyz { a - b { # Correct Comment Placement format 1 } a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 3. SEE ALSO
for(n), if(n), regexp(n) KEYWORDS
switch, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 switch(n)