Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [BASH] recognise new line regex in case statement Post 302359023 by Scrutinizer on Monday 5th of October 2009 03:27:29 PM
Old 10-05-2009
Hi ASGR,

You can use "" for an empty line:
Code:
while read line; do
  case $line in
    ""|\#* ) : ;;
    \[*\]  ) do_label;;
    *      ) do_error;;
  esac
done < $filename

S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

anchoring regex using case and ksh

Outside this process I built a file containing snmp response filtering for hostname, model type and ios version. I want to get a count across the network of those devices running 11.x code, 12.0 mainline, 12.0 T train and above, 12.1 and above and OS levels. This works ok .. but its cheap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash regex =~ case insensetive, possible?

It can get very annoying that bash regex =~ is case-sensetive, is there a way to set it to be case-insensetive? if ]; then echo match else echo no match fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash case statement output help

greetings, I have a script that is taking input like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd and formating it to be like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you use logical operators in a case statement (bash)?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm working on a log monitoring script and every 10 lines I want to display a summary of events. The thing is, there are a lot of possible events, that likely won't have happened, so I only want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash case Statement and Using Line Anchors?

Hello All, I am writing a script that is to be placed on multiple servers, and of course I've started running into some compatibility issues for certain shell commands. The code below worked just fine on most of my machines except for a couple. Here I had 4 separate lines in my script that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about REGEX Patterns and Case Sensitivity?

Hello All, I'm in the middle of a script and I'm doing some checks with REGEX (i.e. using the '"shopt -s nocasematch" that at least the first one should print "FALSE" but it prints "TRUE"..? For Example: #!/bin/bash MY_VAR="HELLO" ### This prints "TRUE" PATTERN_1="^*" if ] then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - case statement

Hi Gurus, I have the below BASH code which does not works for upper case alphabets except Z (upper case Z). What may be the reason. Also escape sequences like \n, \t, \b, \033(1m \033(0m (For bold letter) are not working. case $var in ) echo "Lower case alphabet" ;; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)