Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: check number of character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check number of character Post 302358963 by francis_tom on Monday 5th of October 2009 09:56:49 AM
Old 10-05-2009
check number of character

hi,

I would like to calculate number of character for a number,

for exemple : 1200 --> there are 4 characters , 120001 -> 5 characters

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number or Character

How to find that a given variable is a number or character? e.g. echo "Enter the number" read var If "$var" is a number then display "Number has been entered" else display "Character has been entered". Thanking you in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for the first character to be blank

I'm having a problem when the first line or first character of a file is blank. I need to get rid of both of them when they occur but don't want to delete the line. Does anyone have any suggestions? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check first character in var's value.

Currently my script works like this: DATE_dd=5 # Assume this is user input. (User can enter 1, 2, 3, .. 10, 11, 12) if ; then DATE_D=" ${DATE_dd}" file_name="${DATE_yyyy}${DATE_mm}0${DATE_dd}.csv" else DATE_D=${DATE_dd} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check string of character

how can i check whether variable contains only character from a-z or A-Z....if my variable contains any alpha numeric, numeric or any character with some special one i.e. *%&@! etcetera etcetera....then it should show me please enter only characters...... Let my variable var1="abc77}|" then... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
9 Replies

5. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if the first character is a alphabet or number

Hi, I need to find whether the first character in a line is a alphabet or a number. If its a number i should sort it numerically. If its a alphabet i should sort it based on the ASCII value.And if it is something other than alphabet or number then sort it based on ASCII value. The code i used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for special character in a value

Hi, I have a variable and to it always alphanumeric value will be assigned. If the value has any special characters in it then in the if statement it should exit like below if (value has any speacial character) then exit else .... fi can any one suggest how to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavnayas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

check number or character of a file

Hi, Please see the below information. 1. Read files one by one and run the script. 2. Check if the filename is CHARTER OR NUMBER 3. Run the case statement. I have files in the folder. i will get 300 files in a single day. Abc_111111111111.csv 101010_kkk_bbbb.csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
6 Replies
XmTextGetSubstring(3X)													    XmTextGetSubstring(3X)

NAME
XmTextGetSubstring - A Text function that retrieves a copy of a portion of the internal text buffer SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Text.h> int XmTextGetSubstring (widget, start, num_chars, buffer_size, buffer) Widget widget; XmTextPosition start; int num_chars; int buffer_size; char *buffer; DESCRIPTION
XmTextGetSubstring retrieves a copy of a portion of the internal text buffer of a Text widget. The function copies a specified number of characters from a given start position in the internal text buffer into a buffer provided by the application. A NULL terminator is placed at the end of the copied data. The size of the required buffer depends on the maximum number of bytes per character (MB_CUR_MAX) for the current locale. MB_CUR_MAX is a macro defined in <stdlib.h>. The buffer should be large enough to contain the substring to be copied and a NULL terminator. Use the fol- lowing equation to calculate the size of buffer the application should provide: buffer_size = (num_chars * MB_CUR_MAX) + 1 Specifies the Text widget ID. Specifies the beginning character position from which the data will be retrieved. This is an integer number of characters from the beginning of the text buffer. The first character position is 0. Specifies the number of characters to be copied into the provided buffer. Specifies the size of the supplied buffer in bytes. This size should account for a NULL terminator. Specifies the character buffer into which the internal text buffer will be copied. For a complete definition of Text and its associated resources, see XmText(3X). RETURN VALUE
The function was successful. The function failed because it was unable to copy the specified number of characters into the buffer pro- vided. The buffer size may be insufficient. The contents of buffer are undefined. The requested number of characters extended beyond the internal buffer. The function copied characters between start and the end of the widget's buffer and terminated the string with a NULL terminator; fewer than num_chars characters were copied. SEE ALSO
XmText(3X), XmTextGetSubstringWcs(3X) XmTextGetSubstring(3X)