Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash string variable manipulation Post 302358953 by vgersh99 on Monday 5th of October 2009 09:22:22 AM
Old 10-05-2009
Code:
a=/path/to/dir/bin
echo ${a%/*}

---------- Post updated at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:21 AM ----------

To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash assign string to variable

Hi ,I am trying to assign string to variable ,but it doesn't work Also could you show me different ways to use grep,(I am trying to get the first,second and first column form file,and I am counting the chars) let name=`grep "$id" product | cut -c6-20` (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

string manipulation in bash shell

Hi All, I am using a bash shell and want to the following thing. A process sends the following string to my script BACKUP_FAIL_REASON="Failed - Application Dump CDMACA-0:grep: /opt/nortel/ca/data/1245184/sd00/image1/S110907070708HIS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash string manipulation

Hello guys, here is my problem: I got a shell script which is called by an external piece of software, the external software is not under my control. The software passes data as an argument to my script like ./bla.sh 'service;1234567890;ok;hostname;some text here' I need to pass the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoogie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string manipulation

In my script I'm retrieving a parameter through an API call. I need to trim some things out of the result so I can use it as a parameter to pass to another process. I've got it working but it's pretty kludgy and I'm hoping someone can help me with a better way. This is the code that retrieves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash variable string declaration

Hello, Why is this not working in a script? files="test.fsa" echo $files for file in $files do if then echo "$file does not exist." fi run a command done I get an error saying (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string variable outputting incorrectly

Hello All, I am learning BASH scripting and I would appreciate any help with a small problem I am having... I am writing a script that builds a simple hosts file for DNS reasons related to a piece of software called netdb by parsing another application's config files for IP's and their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wesley545
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: using a string variable in grep

Hi, I've been stuck for several days on this. Using grep on a command line, I can use quotes, eg... grep 'pattern of several words' filename I want to do this in my bash script. In my script I have captured the several command line arguments (eg arg1 arg2) into a variable: variable=$@ I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrian777uk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string as variable(s) in bash

I'm trying to write a basic bash script that takes input you give (what directory, if any, what name, if any ....) and passes the information to find. I'm trying to just create a string with all variables and then pass it to find. So far I have this extremely simple: #!/bin/bash -f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable string manipulation

Hi, I have a variable with grep output like this: WORDS=$(grep -r -c -i -E "palindrom" /"$DIRECTORY"/) so "echo "$WORDS"" could be: //directory/file1.txt:0 //directory/file2.txt:0 //directory/file3.txt:3 //directory/file4.txt:1 //directory/file5.txt:0 I need to "sed" my variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hornys
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh String Manipulation - removing variables from within a variable

Hi. I'd like to remove all values in a string variable that also exist in a second variable. What is the appropriate approach to take here? I can use a 'For' loop and check each element and then populate a new string. But is there a cleaner, simpler way? E.g. I have the following 2 variables ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
19 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux