Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script start and end of execution of time Post 302358785 by edfair on Sunday 4th of October 2009 05:39:00 PM
Old 10-04-2009
I throw the date into a file in a log directory:
date > /log/bustart for example at the start of the backup routine
date > /log/bustop for the end
and name the stuff that happens sequentially in such a way that it lists the way it runs.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working out end time from start + elapsed

Hi, I'm writing a script and have become stuck trying to define a variable (COMP) by adding an elapsed time (ELAPSE e.g 00:55) to a start time (START e.g 23:50). Can anybody give me a solution as to how I can get a completion time in hh:mm from the variables above? thanks Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rik1551
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start time/end time and status of crontab job

Is there anyway to get the start time and end time / status of a crontab job which was just completed? Of course, we know the start time of the crontab job since we are scheduling. But I would like to know process start and time recorded somewhere or can be fetched from a command like 'ps'. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching between start and end time

Hello All, Below mentioned is my log file. I want to make a script which ask for start time and then end time and then search particular word between those lines. Like start time:2 end time: 4 and then search all values starting from cell 84 between this time. Please Help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get data between the start time and end time?

Hi, Can anyone help me how can I get the line that between the start time and end time. file1.txt 15/03/2009 20:45:03 Request: - Data of this line 15/03/2009 20:45:12 Response: - Data of this line 15/03/2009 22:10:40 Request: - Data of this line 15/03/2009 22:10:42 Response: - Data of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tanit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup a cron job and specified the start and end time

Hi guys, How can I specify the start and end time of a cron job. And my start time and end time are specified by minutes. For example, I want to set up a cron runs every 3 minutes from 18:40 to midnight. How can i do this please? Many thanks Best regards, Clu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the Start, End time and duration using date command

Oracle Enterprise Linux We want to track how long a process takes to complete its execution. This is what we want in the schell script Before the process is started , get the time with date, hours and minutes execute the process After the process has ended , get the time with date,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

9. Programming

DB2 Query to check table counts,start end time

Dear team I am using DB2 and wish to capture the ETL status on daily basis so that i can run the query and share the details in xls format to respective mail ids . Currently i am using below query but this displays table name and counts for latest run. select name ,CARD from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
0 Replies
UTMPX(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  UTMPX(5)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx, lastlogx -- user accounting database SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> DESCRIPTION
In contrast to utmp and wtmp, the extended databases in utmpx and wtmpx reserve more space for logging hostnames, and also information on a process' ID, termination signal and exit status. The <utmpx.h> header defines the structures and functions for logging user. Currently logged in users are tracked in /var/run/utmpx, a list of all logins and logouts, as well as all shutdowns, reboots and date changes, is kept in /var/log/wtmpx, and the last login of each user is noted in /var/log/lastlogx. The interface to the utmpx file is described in getutxent(3). The wtmpx file can grow rapidly on busy systems, and is normally rotated with newsyslog(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown, or a reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmpx file: date The system time has been manually or automatically updated by date(1). The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name (see shutdown(8) and reboot(8)), using logwtmpx(3). FILES
/var/run/utmpx The utmpx file. /var/log/wtmpx The wtmpx file. /var/log/lastlogx The lastlogx file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), rwho(1), w(1), who(1), endutxent(3), logwtmpx(3), utmp(5), ac(8), init(8), newsyslog(8), reboot(8) BSD
January 31, 2007 BSD