Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script start and end of execution of time Post 302358722 by varontron on Sunday 4th of October 2009 10:50:03 AM
Old 10-04-2009
I'm not aware of a built in process, but a common practice is to echo 'date' output into logs redirected from the process.

Code:
echo `date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` > mylog; myprocess >> mylog 2>&1 ;echo `date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` >> mylog &

If you're looking for total run time, you could use 'time'

Code:
time myproc

will return something like the following

Code:
real	0m0.000s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.000s

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working out end time from start + elapsed

Hi, I'm writing a script and have become stuck trying to define a variable (COMP) by adding an elapsed time (ELAPSE e.g 00:55) to a start time (START e.g 23:50). Can anybody give me a solution as to how I can get a completion time in hh:mm from the variables above? thanks Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rik1551
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start time/end time and status of crontab job

Is there anyway to get the start time and end time / status of a crontab job which was just completed? Of course, we know the start time of the crontab job since we are scheduling. But I would like to know process start and time recorded somewhere or can be fetched from a command like 'ps'. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching between start and end time

Hello All, Below mentioned is my log file. I want to make a script which ask for start time and then end time and then search particular word between those lines. Like start time:2 end time: 4 and then search all values starting from cell 84 between this time. Please Help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get data between the start time and end time?

Hi, Can anyone help me how can I get the line that between the start time and end time. file1.txt 15/03/2009 20:45:03 Request: - Data of this line 15/03/2009 20:45:12 Response: - Data of this line 15/03/2009 22:10:40 Request: - Data of this line 15/03/2009 22:10:42 Response: - Data of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tanit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup a cron job and specified the start and end time

Hi guys, How can I specify the start and end time of a cron job. And my start time and end time are specified by minutes. For example, I want to set up a cron runs every 3 minutes from 18:40 to midnight. How can i do this please? Many thanks Best regards, Clu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the Start, End time and duration using date command

Oracle Enterprise Linux We want to track how long a process takes to complete its execution. This is what we want in the schell script Before the process is started , get the time with date, hours and minutes execute the process After the process has ended , get the time with date,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

9. Programming

DB2 Query to check table counts,start end time

Dear team I am using DB2 and wish to capture the ETL status on daily basis so that i can run the query and share the details in xls format to respective mail ids . Currently i am using below query but this displays table name and counts for latest run. select name ,CARD from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
0 Replies
File::Path::Tiny(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     File::Path::Tiny(3pm)

NAME
File::Path::Tiny - recursive versions of mkdir() and rmdir() without as much overhead as File::Path VERSION
This document describes File::Path::Tiny version 0.3 SYNOPSIS
use File::Path::Tiny; if(!File::Path::Tiny::mk($path)) { die "Could not make path '$path': $!"; } if(!File::Path::Tiny::rm($path)) { die "Could not remove path '$path': $!"; } DESCRIPTION
The goal here is simply to provide recursive versions of mkdir() and rmdir() with as little code and overhead as possible. This module is in no way meant to derogate File::Path and is in no way an endorsement to go out and replace all use of File::Path with File::Path::Tiny. File::Path is very good at what it does but there's simply a lot happening that we can do without much of the time. Here are some things File::Path has/does that this module attempts to do without: o multiple interfaces Backwards compatibility brings in a lot of code and logic that we don't need from here on out. o chdir's It does a ton of chdir's which could leave you somewhere you're not planning on being and requires much more overhead to do. o can croak not allowing you to detect and handle failure Just let me handle errors how I want. Don't make my entire app die or have to wrap it in an eval o A well intentioned output system Just let me do the output how I want. (Nothing, As HTML, print to a filehandle, etc...) o A well intentioned and experimental (IE subject to change) error handling system. Just keep it simple and detect failure via a boolean check and do what I want with the error. See "How can I make/remove multiple paths?" o According to its POD, removing a tree is apparently not safe unless you tell it to be with the 'safe' or 'keep_root' attributes. Seems like that should just happen, I don't want to worry about accidentally removing / when I pass it /tmp INTERFACE
Nothing in exported or exportable, that helps keep it '::Tiny'. File::Path::Tiny::mk() Takes a single path (like mkdir()) to recursively create and, optionally, a mask (like mkdir()) for all subsequent mkdir() calls. Mask defaults to 0700 (also like mkdir()) Returns false if it could not be made, true otherwise (returns '2' if it is -d already) It is recursive in the sense that given foo/bar/baz as the path to create all 3 will be created if necessary. File::Path::Tiny::rm() Takes a single path (like rmdir()) to recursively empty and remove. Returns false if it could not be emptied or removed, true otherwise. (returns '2' if it is !-d already) It is recursive in the sense that given /foo/bar/baz as the path to remove it will recursively empty 'baz' and then remove it from /foo/bar. Its parents, /, /foo, and /foo/bar are *not* touched. File::Path::Tiny::empty_dir() Takes a single path to recursively empty but not remove. Returns false when there is a problem. DIAGNOSTICS
Throws no warnings or errors of its own If the functions ever return false, $! will have been set either explicitly or by the mkdir(), rmdir(), unlink(), or opendir() that ultimately returned false. MISC
How can I make/remove multiple paths? For simplicity sake && ::Tiny status this module must be very very very simple. That said it is also very simple to do muliple paths: for my $path (@paths) { File::Path::Tiny::::mk($path) or _my_handle_failed_mk($path, $!); } for my $path (@paths) { File::Path::Tiny::::rm($path) or _my_handle_failed_rm($path, $!); } That also lets you keep going or short circuit it or handle errors however you like: PATH: for my $path qw(foo/bar bar/rat) { if (!File::Path::Tiny::mk($path)) { print "problem unlinking '$path': $! "; last PATH; } else { print "No error encountered with '$path' " } } About the '::Tiny' status See Acme::Tiny for information on the ::Tiny suffix. #3 is almost there (< 1/5th +/-), a bit more trimming and I think we'll have it! #8 is N/A since part of the "sub set" is to do single paths like their non-recursive core counterparts and there are so many ways to invoke it with different consequences [ -- RSS Memory -- ] Baseline perl 1168 File::Path 1808 (+640) File::Path::Tiny 1288 (+120) Even though "time" isn't really a ::Tiny factor, it does improve loading a bit: [ -- time -- ] Baseline perl real 0m0.007s user 0m0.002s sys 0m0.004s File::Path real 0m0.017s user 0m0.011s sys 0m0.005s File::Path::Tiny real 0m0.007s user 0m0.003s sys 0m0.004s As time allows and more tests are added I'll try to include more comprehensive benchmark results. How do I make sure the path is safe to create or remove? Of course the answer depends on what you mean by "safe". This module makes no assumptions on interpreting the "safeness" of a path, just like mkdir() and rmdir(). Also like mkdir() and rmdir() typically you'll find that filesystem permissions are a pretty reliable tool (of course if the code will be run as root you would want to setuid first...) You might use Cwd::abs_path() to sanitize a path before sending it to be made or removed. Even after that it might not be "safe" so you'll need to discern what your particular definition of "safe" is and take appropriate action. DEPENDENCIES
File::Spec of course but its only loaded if needed INCOMPATIBILITIES
None reported. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
No bugs have been reported. Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-file-path-tiny@rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org>. AUTHOR
Daniel Muey "<http://drmuey.com/cpan_contact.pl>" LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008, Daniel Muey "<http://drmuey.com/cpan_contact.pl>". All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See perlartistic. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
BECAUSE THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE SOFTWARE, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE SOFTWARE "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE SOFTWARE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR, OR CORRECTION. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE AS PERMITTED BY THE ABOVE LICENCE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE SOFTWARE TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-04 File::Path::Tiny(3pm)