Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing rows from a file based on date comparison Post 302358591 by Max_2503 on Saturday 3rd of October 2009 10:07:10 AM
Old 10-03-2009
Removing rows from a file based on date comparison

I have a '|' delimited file and want to remove all the records from the file if the date is greater than a year from sysdate. The layout of the file is as below -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|yyyyyy|zzzzzz|2009-12-27-00:00| 000000000|N
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|yyyyyy|zzzzzz|2010-01-03-00:00| 000000000|N
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|yyyyyy|zzzzzz|2010-11-10-00:00| 000000000|N
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx|yyyyyy|zzzzzz|2010-12-17-00:00| 000000000|N

As you can see above, we need to pick the year, month and day from the timestamp field from the file and do the comparison if if it greater than a year from the current date, then delete that record.

From the data given above, the third and fourth records will need to be deleted and the first and the second ones are to be retained.

Any pointers/directions is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Max

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing rows from a file

I have a file like below and want to use awk to solve this problem. The record separator is ">". I want to look at each record section enclosed within ">". Find the row with the 2nd and 3rd columns being 0, such as 10 0 0 I need to take the first number which in this case is 10. Then... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete rows in a file based on the rows of another file

I need to delete rows based on the number of lines in a different file, I have a piece of code with me working but when I merge with my C application, it doesnt work. sed '1,'\"`wc -l < /tmp/fileyyyy`\"'d' /tmp/fileA > /tmp/filexxxx Can anyone give me an alternate solution for the above (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing rows based on a another file

Hi, I am not sure if this has already been asked (I tried the search but the search was too broad). Basically I want to remove rows based on another file. So file1 looks like this (tab seperated): HHN 3 5 5 HUJ 2 2 1 JJJ 3 1 1 JUN 2 1 3 I have another file (file2)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing rows based on a different file (ignore my earlier post - there was a mistake).

Sorry I made a mistake in my last post (output is suppose to be the opposite). Here is a revised post. Hi, I am not sure if this has already been asked (I tried the search but the search was too broad). Basically I want to remove rows based on another file. So file1 looks like this (tab... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicate rows & selecting only latest date

Gurus, From a file I need to remove duplicate rows based on the first column data but also we need to consider a date column where we need to keep the latest date (13th column). Ex: Input File: Output File: I know how to take out the duplicates but I couldn't figure out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing rows from text file older than certain date

Hi I need a way of removing rows from a txt file that are older than 30 days from today, going by the date in column 2, below is an example from my file. I have tried awk but don't have enough knowledge. I would really appreciate some help. 41982,15/07/2010,H833AB/0,JZ,288... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison based on contents

Hi I have 2 files 1.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 2.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1, 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 I need to compare the above two files in unix, as in the output should only tell the difference in contents as I should get only the line 1 ( from 2.del) , rest all lines are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ethen561
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Rows in a file

Hello I have a file with contents like this... Part1 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line1) Part2 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line2) Part3 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line3) Part1 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line4) Part4 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line5) Part5 Field2 Field3 Field4 (line6) Part2 Field2 Field3 Field4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekbaazigar
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two file based on comparison of first columns

Respected Members. Hello. This is my first post in the forum. I will try to follow all the rules as prescribed by the forum. In case of non-compliance, I request you to kindly give me some more time to understand and abide by them. I am working on two files. I wish to merge the two files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manojmalhotra
1 Replies
DATE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-qsu] [[MMDDYY]hhmm[ss]] [+format] OPTIONS
-q Read the date from stdin -s Set the time (implicit for -q or a date string) -u Print the date as GMT -t Use this number of seconds instead of current time EXAMPLES
date # Print the date and time date 0221921610 # Set date to Feb 21, 1992 at 4:10 p.m. DESCRIPTION
With the -q flag or a numeric argument, date sets the GMT time and date. MMDDYY refers to the month, day, and year; hhmmss refers to the hour, minute and second. Each of the six fields must be exactly two digits, no more and no less. date always display the date and time, with the default format for the system. The -u flag request GMT time instead of local time. A format may be specified with a + followed by a printf-like string with the following options: %% % character %A Name of the day %B Name of the month %D mm/dd/yy %H Decimal hour on 2 digits %I Decimal hour modulo 12 on 2 digits %M Decimal minute on 2 digits %S Decimal seconds on 2 digits %T HH:MM:SS %U Decimal week number, Sunday being first day of week %W Decimal week number, Monday being first day of week %X Same as %T %Y Decimal year on 4 digits %Z Time Zone (if any) %a Abbreviated name of the day %b Abbreviated name of the month %c Appropriate date & time (default format) %d Decimal day of the month on 2 digits %e Same as %d, but a space replaces leading 0 %h Same as %b %j Decimal dey of the year on 3 digits %m Decimal month on 2 digits %n Newline character %p AM or PM %r 12-hour clock time with AM/PM %s Number of seconds since the epoch %t Tab character %w Decimal day of the week (0=Sunday) %x Same as %D %y Decimal year on 2 digits SEE ALSO
time(2), ctime(3), readclock(8). DATE(1)