Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk for presence of characters in a field Post 302358477 by scriptr2be on Friday 2nd of October 2009 04:54:53 PM
Old 10-02-2009
when I run this, I get no output - on the screen or in a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk if one field has more characters than another

Hi all, I've been stuck on how to write a command in awk that looks at two columns and only prints entries where one of the columns has more than or less than a 3 character difference. I need to be able to compare any two columns preferably, but as an example, comparing columns 3 and 4 example... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk repeat one field at all lines and modify field repetitions

Hello experts I have a file with paragraphs begining with a keeping date and ending with "END": 20120301 num num John num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num B keepnum2 num num Pete num num A keepnum1 num num Jacob num... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to add length of matching characters between field in file

The awk below produces the current output, which will add +1 to $3. However, I am trying to add the length of the matching characters between $5 and $6 to $3. I have tried using sub as a variable to store the length but am not able to do so correctly. I added comments to each line and the... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)					     MIT X11R4						  BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)

Name
       BlackPixelOfScreen, WhitePixelOfScreen, CellsOfScreen, DefaultColormapOfScreen, DefaultDepthOfScreen, DefaultGCOfScreen, DefaultVisualOf-
       Screen, DoesBackingStore, DoesSaveUnders, DisplayOfScreen, XScreenNumberOfScreen, EventMaskOfScreen, HeightOfScreen, HeightMMOfScreen, Max-
       CmapsOfScreen, MinCmapsOfScreen, PlanesOfScreen, RootWindowOfScreen, WidthOfScreen, WidthMMOfScreen - screen information functions and
       macros

Syntax
       BlackPixelOfScreen(screen)

WhitePixelOfScreen(screen)

CellsOfScreen(screen)

DefaultColormapOfScreen(screen)

DefaultDepthOfScreen(screen)

DefaultGCOfScreen(screen)

DefaultVisualOfScreen(screen)

DoesBackingStore(screen)

DoesSaveUnders(screen)

DisplayOfScreen(screen)

int XScreenNumberOfScreen(screen)
	  Screen *screen;

EventMaskOfScreen(screen)

HeightOfScreen(screen)

HeightMMOfScreen(screen)

MaxCmapsOfScreen(screen)

MinCmapsOfScreen(screen)

PlanesOfScreen(screen)

RootWindowOfScreen(screen)

WidthOfScreen(screen)

WidthMMOfScreen(screen)

Arguments
       screen	 Specifies a pointer to the appropriate structure.

Description
       The macro returns the black pixel value of the specified screen.

The macro returns the white pixel value of the specified screen.

The macro returns the number of colormap cells in the default colormap of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default colormap of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default depth of the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default GC of the specified screen, which has the same depth as the root window of the screen.

The macro returns the default visual of the specified screen.

The macro returns or which indicate whether the screen supports backing stores.

The macro returns a Boolean value indicating whether the screen supports save unders.

The macro returns the display of the specified screen.

The function returns the screen index number of the specified screen.

The macro returns the root event mask of the root window for the specified screen at connection setup.

The macro returns the height of the specified screen.

The macro returns the height of the specified screen in millimeters.

The macro returns the maximum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen.

The macro returns the minimum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen.

The macro returns the number of planes in the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the width of the specified screen.

The macro returns the width of the specified screen in millimeters.

See Also
       AllPlanes(3X11), ImageByteOrder(3X11), IsCursorKey(3X11)
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)