Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing Header & Trailer from a file Post 302358415 by Franklin52 on Friday 2nd of October 2009 12:33:37 PM
Old 10-02-2009
Code:
awk 'NR<3{s=$0;next}{print s;s=$0}' file > newfile

Explanation of awk code:

Code:
NR<3{s=$0;next}

If line number < 3 assign the current line to variable s and read the next line

Code:
{print s;s=$0}

Print the previous line and assign the current line to variable s

Explanation of sed code:

Code:
sed '1d;$d'

Delete the first (1d) and the last line ($d)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailer from a flat file!!!

Hi, I get some flat files with trailer which gives the totol records count and i want to remove the trailer from the file. i used the following command it works fine with a single file. cat file_name | grep -v 'Total records:' > file1 mv file file_name But i dont know how to remove the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy all the files with time stamp and remove header,trailer from file

All, I am new to unix and i have the following requirement. I have file(s) landing into input directory with timestamp, first i want to copy all these files into seperate directory then i want to rename these files without timestamp and also remove header,trailer from that file.. Could... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrams
35 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Header & Trailer for bulk volume data file

Hi all, I have a requirement to create a Header &Trailer for a file which is having 20 millions of records. If I use the following method, i think it will take more time. cat "Header"> file1.txt cat Data_File>>file1.txt cat "Trailer">>file1.txt since second CAT command has to read all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Header and Trailer records to a appended file

How can we a shell script and pass date parameters .I have 3 files comming from Datastage with |" delimited I need append 3 files as above: File1: P0000|"47416954|"AU|"000|"INS|"0000|"|"20060601|"99991231|"|"|"|"|"01 File 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e1994264
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding header and trailer into a file

Hi, I want to add the below Header to all the files in sequence File1,File2,File3...etc "ABC,<number of chracter in the file>" e,g - If File1 is as below pqrstuvdt abcdefgh then I want to add the above header into it ,So that File1 becomes as below ABC,17 pqrstuvdt abcdefgh ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spari2
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last few characters in a file but keeping Header and trailer intact

Hi All, I am trying write a simple command using AWK and SED to this but without any success. Here is what I am using: head -1 test1.txt>test2.txt|sed '1d;$d' test1.txt|awk '{print substr($0,0,(length($0)-2))}' >>test2.txt|tail -1 test1.txt>>test2.txt Input: Header 1234567 abcdefgh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to validate file header and trailer

Hi, I need a script that validates a file header/detail/trailer. File layout is: Header - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date Detail - Rec_Type|field1|field2|field3... Trailder - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date|Record_count Sample Data: HDR|customer_data.dat|20120709... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_sh
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify the header and trailer in file

please see my requirement, I hope I am clear. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split and add header and trailer from input file

I need to split the file based on pattern from position 34-37 while retaining the header and trailer records in each individual split file Also is it possible to output the TOM and PAT records in the same output file ? I need the output file names same as xyz_pattern_Datetimestamp.txt ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing Header and Trailer record of a EBCDIC file

I have a EBCDIC multi layout file which has a header record which is 21 bytes, The Detail records are 2427 bytes long and the trailer record is 9 bytes long. Is there a command to remove the header as well as trailer record and read only the detail records while at the same time not altering... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
1 Replies
Courriel::Header(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Courriel::Header(3pm)

NAME
Courriel::Header - A single header's name and value VERSION
version 0.29 SYNOPSIS
my $subject = $headers->get('subject'); print $subject->value(); DESCRIPTION
This class represents a single header, which consists of a name and value. API
This class supports the following methods: Courriel::Header->new( ... ) This method requires two attributes, "name" and "value". Both must be strings. The "name" cannot be empty, but the "value" can. $header->name() The header name as passed to the constructor. $header->value() The header value as passed to the constructor. $header->as_string( charset => $charset ) Returns the header name and value with any necessary MIME encoding and folding. The "charset" parameter specifies what character set to use for MIME-encoding non-ASCII values. This defaults to "utf8". The charset name must be one recognized by the Encode module. $header->stream_to( output => $output, charset => ... ) This method will send the stringified header to the specified output. The output can be a subroutine reference, a filehandle, or an object with a "print()" method. The output may be sent as a single string, as a list of strings, or via multiple calls to the output. See the "as_string()" method for documentation on the "charset" parameter. ROLES
This class does the "Courriel::Role::Streams" role. AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is Copyright (c) 2012 by Dave Rolsky. This is free software, licensed under: The Artistic License 2.0 (GPL Compatible) perl v5.14.2 2012-03-07 Courriel::Header(3pm)