Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep/matching help with long listing of directories Post 302358414 by methyl on Friday 2nd of October 2009 12:31:25 PM
Old 10-02-2009
Try single quotes in place of double quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

long listing of files up to a given date

Hi I would like to a long list of files up to a given date. I've tried: ls -al > filelist but this command gives me all the files. I've also have tried the find command: find . -mtime -10 -type f -print > filelist This gives me information on active file within the past 10 days and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing directories and ${1:+$1/}*

Hi I have 2 questions: Q1 - What does ${1:+$1/}* mean? I guess it lists all files in current directory - Could any one explain how this expression works? Q2 - I am trying to list directories only in current path - I know that ls could be used but I thought I'd give find a try. I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

long process listing with /usr/ucb/ps weird behaves

hello I am trying to run the following script to get the my-progam pid: #!/bin/ksh tt=`/usr/ucb/ps| grep -i $1| grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` echo $tt When I run the script I get the more PIDs $./test.sh my-program 12033 15033 15034 Actually my-program's PID is 12033....I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeniatbp
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script regarding listing long group names

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mike12
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Listing the long groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for long listing of groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing directories and sub directories with time and name options

Hello all! I'm looking to list directories and sub-directories of a path, on this forum I found this command: find $path -type d -exec ls -ld {} \; The issue I have is that with a simple ls, the list is listed by name, and using -t I get it by time. How could I list directories and sub... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nomadvisuals
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run sql query having a long listing of parameters

Hi, I have a query regarding execution of a sql query having long listing of parameters ..I need to execute this query inside a shell script. The scenario is like.... Suppose I have a file abc.txt that has the card numbers..it could be in thousands.. then I need to fire a query like ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Listing a file/directory with 7 letters long

I know that I can use wild cards:ls ???????to list files 7 characters long, but how do i omit the .?! and spaces? Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiya54
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)