Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Commenting contab from a script Post 302358351 by Scott on Friday 2nd of October 2009 08:08:51 AM
Old 10-02-2009
crontab -e, complete or not, is wrong!

crontab -l was mentioned, though.

I would be cautious of automating anything with the crontab file without taking a backup first.

Code:

crontab -l | tee crontab.bak | sed '/asdg_count.sh/ s/^/#/' | crontab -

Last edited by Scott; 10-02-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: good spot, methyl.... added closing apostrophe

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

commenting more then 1 line

Hi all, I m new for linux ... but now i will do this continuously. So my question is how to comment more then 1 line i dont wanna put # to each line.. my script is too big... or u can tell me that how can i add # to sellected lines means if i wanna put # from line number 10 to 20 then how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commenting lines

How to comment a set of lines in a script? we use # to comment a single line , is there ant other cmd to comment a block? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting

How can i comment multiple lines in unix ..............shell script. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a Line In a File

HI all I am working on a script, few details are as follows. I have one properties File and one script. The property file contains the JOBID which are to be executed and the Script runs these jobs ONE by ONE. After completing the JOB I need to comment that job in the property File. This is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

commenting

can we use "---------" for commenting......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simmijaswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting lines

Hi can any body pls help me : I have a file Which Content is like following: p3:s1234:powerfail:/usr/sbin/shutdown -y -i5 -g0 >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog ca:3:respawn:/opt/GoldWing/currentPM/local/critagt > /dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog ca:3:respawn:/opt/GoldWing/currentPM/local/startcia.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

commenting out lines between two delimiters

Hi All, I am struggling to get my head around the following issue. I am having to comment out lines between two delimiters by placing an asterix in position 7 but retain all lines in the file and in the same order. so for example a file containing: ... ... DELIM1 ... ... DELIM2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting lines in Shell script

Hi All, I know we can comment by using "#" .... I want to know... is there any way to comment a whole big script easily.... In a file i need to comment more than 15 lines ........ and check the script and un comment back. I am learning VI now so its taking lot of time to comment and un... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting Multiple lines using Shell Script

I have an xml file which has following code : <abc-ref> <abc-name>abc.efg.hij.klm</abc-name> </abc-ref> I want to comment this whole section out and I have written the following script : (where "hij" is unique string in the file) TEMPFILE=replaceYY.tmp file=hello.xml sed -n... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dish
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting out a cron entry through a shell script

In my cron thare is a line like 24 11 * * * /usr/batch/bin/abc.sh > /usr/batch/log/abc.log 2>&1 along with other entries. I want to comment out this line through a shell script. My local variable 'line'ontains the full entry (i.e. 24 11 * * * /usr/batch/bin/abc.sh > /usr/batch/log/abc.log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
4 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)