Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to query number of attached monitors in csh? Post 302358307 by mpcengineering on Friday 2nd of October 2009 10:21:31 AM
Old 10-02-2009
How to query number of attached monitors in csh?

Hi there,

I am currently writing a csh script in which I want to be able to interrogate the hardware by some means in order to determine whether or not dual monitors are connected. This can't unfortunately be done by looking at xorg.conf because although some of the machines in question have extended desktops over both monitors (in which case the xorg.conf does differ), some do not and just have twinview mirrored desktop enabled (in which case xorg.conf is identical to a single monitor machine).

Basically one thing needs to happen if a CRT is attached as well as an LCD (the dual monitor setup always includes a CRT) and another thing needs to happen if just an LCD is attached, so the solution could also be based around finding if a CRT is attached or not rather than just if 2 monitors are present.

Can anyone suggest any solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Jon

---------- Post updated at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 AM ----------

Bah, one of those that never gets replied I fear.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date & NUmber Validation Query

Hi Do you have any pointers how to validate numbers (not to contain alphabets and special characters) and date(MM/DD/YYYY) format. I used following regular expression to validate integer, which is not working in the default shell: nodigits="$(echo $testvalue | sed 's/]//g')" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok_jax
4 Replies

2. BSD

Two monitors

Hello!:) There is the following situation: I've got video Ti 4200 on FreeBSD 5.1 and two monitors connected to it, how can I make available the second monitor in CLI and GUI. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamazi
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

declare number variable in csh

Hi frind, i="1" while do echo "i is $i" data_file=$HYP_ROOT/import/efcextr$i.txt echo "$data_file" i=`expr $i + 1` done This is woring finly in ksh but not in ksh. in ksh it showing error i=1: Command not found i: Undefined variable Kindly help me ...why it is showing the error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number query

I have a small query How can i convert the these number input 001 90 109 output 1 90 109 expoected one line command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafique
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a csh script, can I set a variable to the result of an SQLPLUS select query?

Can someone tell me why I'm getting error when I try to run this? #!/bin/csh -f source ~/.cshrc # set SQLPLUS = ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus # set count=`$SQLPLUS -s ${DB_LOGIN} << END select count(1) from put_groups where group_name='PC' and description='EOD_EVENT' and serial_number=1;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregrobinsonhd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get number of attached hard disks in HP-UX

how do i get the number of attached hard disks in HP-UX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: achak01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max number of environment variables in Csh

Anyone knows what is the max limit of number of environment variables in Csh? I have a script that when run causes the shell to stop responding to any command like: ls /bin/ls: Argument list too long. And I guess the reason is I passed the max limit for number of environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

query display number lines or records present in file only numeric value -without filename

Hi all Thanks in advance........... Please help me for this issue............ I have a file it has 11 records . I used the command like .... >$ wc -l file 11 file I'm getting output like 11 file (no.of records along with filename) here my requirement is, I want to display only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shebang query

What does the "-f" mean in following interpreter code #!/bin/csh -f Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

(CSH basic construct) "@" query

While going through a script, i came across few syntax which I am not aware of what they exactly means. @ cnt = 1 @ num_all = `echo $var` What is the significance of "@" here. What is it called? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies
V4L(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    V4L(4)

NAME
v4l - video4linux driver SYNOPSIS
Section "Module" ... Load "v4l" EndSection DESCRIPTION
v4l is an Xorg driver for video4linux cards. It provides a Xvideo extension port for video overlay. Just add the driver to the module list within the module section of your xorg.conf file if you want to use it. There are no config options. Note that the extmod module is also required for the Xvideo support (and lots of other extensions too). SUPPORTED HARDWARE
The v4l driver works with every piece of hardware which is supported by a video4linux (kernel-) device driver and is able to handle video overlay. bt848/bt878-based TV cards are the most popular hardware these days. CONFIGURATION DETAILS
Please refer to xorg.conf(5) for general configuration details. This section only covers configuration details specific to this driver. SEE ALSO
Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), xorgconfig(1), Xserver(1), X(7) AUTHORS
Authors include: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@bytesex.org> X Version 11 xf86-video-v4l 0.2.0 V4L(4)