Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Neat trick: Changing the permissions of an underlying mount point Post 302358300 by Smiling Dragon on Friday 2nd of October 2009 04:10:18 AM
Old 10-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
So, the file system "does not care", but chmod is doing some kind of check to prevent working directly on a mountpoint. Does this work for all filesystems? You see can why I ask - who would bother to code chmod to "care" otherwise. There must be a gotcha somewhere.
I suspect I am misunderstanding your question but in case I do have you right, the chmod isn't really caring or not caring - it's just working on what it sees, as the second mount of the same filesystem wouldn't have anything mounted on top of any mount points underneath it.
So that allows one to 'see' the directory that would normally be obscured by the root of the mounted FS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount point

hi people, I'm trying to create a mount point, but am having no sucess at all, with the following: mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/diskname /newdirectory but i keep getting - mount-point /newdirectory doesn't exist. What am i doing wrong/missing? Thanks Rc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colesy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

auto mount point

hi can i know what is the command to create auto mount point in my unix server? is there any directory which i have to go? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concept of mount point

Hi All I Know it is a really basic and stupid question perhaps...But I am going bonkers.. I have following valid paths in my unix system: 1. /opt/cdedev/informatica/InfSrv/app/bin 2. /vikas/cdedev/app Both refer to the same physical location. So if I created one file 'test' in first... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

After changing permissions, volume wont mount

Ok. Here it is. I limited access to my external hard disk's partition/volume on Mac os X simply by changing permissions in Get Info window. But now the hard disk icon has disappeard and wont mount. Have tried different kind of soft to mount, but no luck. Then there is the utility called Terminal,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meelismalgand
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount point lists

is there any command to know the list of mount points in a server.i need only the mount point lists.i tried using df but it was not helpful.i am using Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permissions on a mount point

I have an assignment where I have to temporarily change the permissions on a mount point so that an ordinary user can't access it. Can anybody explain how to do this? I know that to change permissions you can use chmod. First I'm not sure which category "ordinary user" would fall under: owner,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: livos23
0 Replies

7. AIX

Change Mount point

Deart All, can any one help to do this, i need to change mount point in AIX 6 /opt/OM should be /usr/lpp/OM, how do i do.... Please help me Urgent issue (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gulamibrahim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with changing the permissions on an nfs mount

Hi All, I have an nfs share which I mounted to my linux machine as below. df -k output TSDapp-na-02:/vol/tsd_app_1/rn_jira 47185920 11663072 35522848 25% /opt/rn_jira I have no entry for this in my /etc/fstab. I did it by the following way. mount -t nfs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can we have 2 mount point under the same name but at different directory?

guys i would like to know can we have 2 mount point which is same name but on different directory? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leecopper
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point? IN AIX

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point Best if there step that i can follow or execute before i mount or add diskspace IN AIX Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
2 Replies
MOUNT_EXFAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_EXFAT(8)

NAME
mount_exfat -- mount an ExFAT file system SYNOPSIS
mount_exfat [-o options] [-u uid] [-g gid] [-m mask] device directory DESCRIPTION
The mount_exfat command mounts the ExFAT filesystem from the device device onto the directory given by directory. This command is normally invoked by diskarbitrationd(8) as the result of detecting a device with a file system recognized as ExFAT. It can also be invoked indirectly by executing the mount(8) command with the -t exfat option. The options are as follows: -o options Use the specified mount options, as described in mount(8). -u uid Set the owner of the files in the file system to uid. The default owner is the owner of the directory on which the file system is being mounted. -g gid Set the group of the files in the file system to gid. The default group is the group of the directory on which the file system is being mounted. -m mask Specify the maximum file permissions for files in the file system. (For example, a mask of 755 specifies that, by default, the owner should have read, write, and execute permissions for files, but others should only have read and execute permissions. See chmod(1) for more information about octal file modes.) Only the nine low-order bits of mask are used. The default mask is taken from the directory on which the file system is being mounted. If none of the -u, -g, or -m options are given, the volume will be mounted with the MNT_UNKNOWNPERMISSIONS flag (equivalent to the -o noowners option). If the device is internal and not removable, the volume will be mounted with the MNT_ASYNC flag (equivalent to the -o async option) by default. That default can be overridden with the -o noasync option. When mounted with the -o noasync option, metadata updates are synced to disk frequently (by default, 50ms after the system call that changed the metadata returns to its caller). SEE ALSO
fsck_exfat(8), exfat.util(8), mount(2), unmount(2), fstab(5), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_exfat utility first appeared in Mac OS X 10.6.3. Darwin January 19, 2010 Darwin