Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux /var/tmp/slapd.log.swp delete? Post 302358180 by itik on Thursday 1st of October 2009 02:20:23 PM
Old 10-01-2009
/var/tmp/slapd.log.swp delete?

Hi All,

Can I delete the above file? It's big, about 1G. It's on a redhat ent 4 with ldap on it.

Is that safe to delete? It wasn't been used for already a month and it's in the backup storage.

Thanks for any comment you may add.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process responsible for filling up /var/tmp

Hi, Help ! - I have a process which I cannot find that is writing to /var/tmp every 10 minutes and filling up my partition, it is also filling up my wtmpx file. I have some software error correction for a faulty DIMM at the moment - is this likely to be causing this as well as over-loading my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mal
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default permission of /var/tmp in AIX

I'm getting an error when trying to vi my .profile. This is the first time I've logged onto this machine and apparently its rarely logged into. I'm assuming from the error that it's a permissions problem in the /var/tmp directory. Can anyone assist? $ uname -a AIX machine 1 5 000D96BF4C00 $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Usage of /var/tmp/ directory on Solaris 10

Hi All, I have some threaded applications. Design of the application is such that one thread will decode some data and put it in data structure, And main thread will wait for another child threads pick up the decoded data. The data will be large decoded files. Once decoded data is picked by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilmuragesh
1 Replies

5. Solaris

permission of /var/tmp

what's the impact if I change /var/tmp's permission into 750? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
7 Replies

6. Solaris

urgent: single-user-mode, /var/tmp read-only

this is the situation: Power outage. Root mirror (svm). it goes to single-user-mode, asking for fsck. Fsck suceeds for one disk, but fail for the other. I can't use vi-editor, it says /var/tmp/Xz12a is a read-only file system. I need to break the mirror, there's no copy of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun Fire
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('w') or filename: '//var/lib/yum/rpmdb-indexes/conflicts.tmp'

Can anyone help me with this error? sudo yum install perl-Gtk2-WebKit Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, versionlock Setting up Install Process Resolving Dependencies --> Running transaction check ---> Package perl-Gtk2-WebKit.i686 0:0.09-1.fc15 will be installed -->... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

8. Linux

Can we delete /var/log/messages-2015* files

Hi Team, My linux version is Linux 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 1 01:33:01 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Now /var mount point is full, and I don't know what files to delete from this file system. When I checked /var/log there are lot of log files starting with name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhavi
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problems after deleting /var/tmp

Hi, To clear up the filesystem, I archived /var/tmp (forgot that this directory was important for crontab), and then deleted the directory itself. After that there were problems like crontab not accessible, certain ftp commands like mget not functioning, and worst there were some scripts which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
STOREBACKUPDEL(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 STOREBACKUPDEL(1)

NAME
storeBackupDel.pl - this program deletes backups created by storeBackup SYNOPSIS
storeBackupDel.pl [-f configFile] [--print] [-b backupDirectory] [-S series] [--doNotDelete] [--deleteNotFinishedDirs] [-L lockFile] [--keepAll timePeriod] [--keepWeekday entry] [--keepFirstOfYear] [--keepLastOfYear] [--keepFirstOfMonth] [--keepLastOfMonth] [--keepFirstOfWeek] [--keepLastOfWeek] [--keepDuplicate] [--keepMinNumber] [--keepMaxNumber] [-l logFile [--plusLogStdout] [--suppressTime] [-m maxFilelen] [[-n noOfOldFiles] | [--saveLogs] [--compressWith compressprog]] WARNING
!!! USAGE IN PARALLEL WITH storeBackup.pl CAN DESTROY YOUR BACKUPS !!! OPTIONS
--file, -f configuration file (instead of parameters) --print print configuration read from configuration file and stop --backupDir, -b top level directory of all backups (must exist) --series, -S directory of backup series same parameter as in storeBackup / relative path from backupDir, default is 'default' --lockFile, -L lock file, if exists, new instances will finish if an old is already running, default is $lockFile --doNotDelete test only, do not delete any backup --deleteNotFinishedDirs delete old backups which where not finished this will not happen if doNotDelete is set --keepAll keep backups which are not older than the specified amount of time. This is like a default value for all days in --keepWeekday. Begins deleting at the end of the script the time range has to be specified in format 'dhms', e.g. 10d4h means 10 days and 4 hours default = $keepAll; --keepWeekday keep backups for the specified days for the specified amount of time. Overwrites the default values chosen in --keepAll. 'Mon,Wed:40d Sat:60d10m' means: keep backups of Mon and Wed 40days + 5mins keep backups of Sat 60days + 10mins keep backups of the rest of the days like spcified in --keepAll (default $keepAll) if you also use the 'archive flag' it means to not delete the affected directories via --keepMaxNumber: a10d4h means 10 days and 4 hours and 'archive flag' e.g. 'Mon,Wed:a40d Sat:60d10m' means: keep backups of Mon and Wed 40days + 5mins + 'archive' keep backups of Sat 60days + 10mins keep backups of the rest of the days like specified in --keepAll (default $keepAll) --keepFirstOfYear do not delete the first backup of a year format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag' --keepLastOfYear do not delete the last backup of a year format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag' --keepFirstOfMonth do not delete the first backup of a month format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag' --keepLastOfMonth do not delete the last backup of a month format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag' --firstDayOfWeek default: 'Sun'. This value is used for calculating --keepFirstOfWeek and --keepLastOfWeek --keepFirstOfWeek do not delete the first backup of a week format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag' --keepLastOfWeek do not delete the last backup of a week format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag' --keepDuplicate keep multiple backups of one day up to timePeriod format is timePeriod, 'archive flag' is not possible default = $keepDuplicate; --keepMinNumber Keep that miminum of backups. Multiple backups of one day are counted as one backup. Default is 10. --keepMaxNumber Try to keep only that maximum of backups. If you have more backups, the following sequence of deleting will happen: - delete all duplicates of a day, beginning with the old once, except the oldest of every day - if this is not enough, delete the rest of the backups beginning with the oldest, but *never* a backup with the 'archive flag' or the last backup --keepRelative, -R Alternative deletion scheme. If you use this option, all other keep options are ignored. Preserves backups depending on their *relative* age. Example: -R '1d 7d 2m 3m' will (try to) ensure that there is always - One backup between 1 day and 7 days old - One backup between 5 days and 2 months old - One backup between 2 months and 3 months old If there is no backup for a specified timespan (e.g. because the last backup was done more than 2 weeks ago) the next older backup will be used for this timespan. --logFile, -l log file (default is STDOUT) --plusLogStdout if you specify a log file with --logFile you can additionally print the output to STDOUT with this flag --suppressTime suppress output of time in logfile --maxFilelen, -m maximal length of file, default = 1e6 --noOfOldFiles, -n number of old log files, default = 5 --saveLogs save log files with date and time instead of deleting the old (with [-noOldFiles]) --compressWith compress saved log files (e.g. with 'gzip -9') default is 'bzip2' COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003-2008 by Heinz-Josef Claes (see README). Published under the GNU General Public License v3 or any later version perl v5.14.2 2012-06-16 STOREBACKUPDEL(1)