Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab environment help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab environment help Post 302357695 by malky on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 11:49:26 AM
Old 09-30-2009
Thanks for your response,
I added:

Code:
PWD=$( pwd )
export PWD

but i get from cron's report:
startup.sh: syntax error at line 9: `PWD=$' unexpected

---------- Post updated at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by varontron
I'm thinking, in your script, cd to any directory, and the env will set PWD to that dir.
Great Idea!

oh, I tried... then printed env inside scrip that's run by cron... PWD still not set and I'm still getting an empty value. =(

Any more ideas?

Lets make it more simple, im not even going to call my script, I'll just run this:
Code:
* * * * * printf "My path: $PWD lala"

I still get "My path: lala"

* * * * * = (set the time as you wish)

Last edited by malky; 09-30-2009 at 12:55 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

environment variables

Hi! How-to get the environment variables in GNU. getenv() only fetches the ones that you can find under export (not the ones under declare)... best regars .David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on environment variable

what is the environment variable used for getting the <machine name> . hello $LOGNAME,welcome to <??> I want to print the machine name in the place of <??> Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehuldoshi
6 Replies

3. Programming

environment variables

hi, I want to create a new EV(Environment Variable) through a c program and I done this thing through setenv() method. But the newly created EV is not permanent, i.e. when I exit from the program the EV also no longer lives. But I want to make it a permanent EV for the current user. Actually I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reset environment - ".. /etc/.environment dev_env"

I have been resently working on some ksh script. One of the line in the file writes: .. /etc/.environment dev_env I can not understand what this mean, all I know is .environment is unix system environment file. Is ".." a command? If some one can give me some clue where can I find information... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzwu3591
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Environment help please

Hello all, I am a bit confused not only because I am new to Solaris but because when I run "env" I get a list of variables that are not in the user .profile. Where else can the account be getting environment variables from? Is there a .profile that applies to all accounts? Thank you in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable

Hi, I have to set bunch of variables and all other programs like make, perl will use them .. Here are my constraints and requirements ... The variables have to be set by executing a script that runs in c shell. I cannot source the script since people who use this script might be on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Environment variable

Hello, For the moment, my LC_ALL variable is set as "" by default. If I want to change this value, I do : export LC_ALL="en_fr" for example. That I want to know it's : how can I set by default this value ? I want to save it on my profile in order to get it when I open my session... :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
2 Replies

8. Programming

Getting another process' environment

Suppose that I have an environment variable (call it "EVAR") that I set before running a process (call it "myproc"). "myproc" is run multiple times by multiple users and each may set "EVAR" differently. I.E.: UserA: export EVAR=v1 myproc UserB: export EVAR=v2 myproc Now "myproc" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve the value of environment variable in shell script which called from crontab

There are two files one is shell script (sample.sh) and another is configuration file (sampl_conf.cfg) configuration file contains one variable $FTP_HOME. the value of this variable vaires for user to user. If user is say jadoo then value is /home/jadoo/ftp/, for user1 - /home/user1/ftp. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable in shell script called through crontab

Please help me on below.. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141533-retrieve-value-environment-variable-shell-script-called-crontab.html#post302442024 I'm still here. I can still see you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
0 Replies
PWD(1)								   User Commands							    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd - print name of current/working directory SYNOPSIS
pwd [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
Print the full filename of the current working directory. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit NOTE: your shell may have its own version of pwd, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report pwd bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
getcwd(3) The full documentation for pwd is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and pwd programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'pwd invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 PWD(1)