Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris NTP force system time in the past Post 302357598 by demwz on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 08:41:31 AM
Old 09-30-2009
NTP force system time in the past

Hello

I have a question that may sound stupid after and maybe it is.

We are syncing our sytem time via ntp from a reference time server. all works quite well
but due to a mall applikation which not accepts timestamps from our servers that in the future,
and if it even was 1 ms, we have to adjust our system clock to be 100 - 200 milliseconds behind the reference system.

I could not find any parameters that would provide such a functionality.

Any Ideas ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TIME SYNC (NTP)

Is there a utility which offers the ability to utilize NTP to sync time on machine. If so please point to man page or web site (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

past login still exist in the system

hi, i noticed that there are still past logins which have not been terminated. how should i removed them? i am on aix. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

NTP time

Is anyone familiar with adding NTP timing to a HPUX 10 OS? Thanks Brian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Past Time

Dear UNIX Folks, I guess everyone of us like to know what sysadmin typically do during his free time. Not what he/she likes as an hobbies.. but what activities does he/she often indulge in other than facing the monitor. Maybe we can come up this a better stereo-typed for sysadmin. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you force local NTP server to be accepted as "suitable"?

Is there some way to force the NTP server on a brand-new install to be "suitable" to sync other servers from? (I'm more concerned with synchronization between machines, and less concerned with what the actual time they sync to is) For example, whenever I install fresh from the Fedora DVDs and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

ntp time synchronization

hello all,, am trying to do a time synchronization between a ntp server and a client, but facing some problems in doing so: i run the ntpdate in debug mode and this is what i got. please help me out.. # ntpd -d -u 172.22.1.207 ntpd 4.2.2p1@1.1570-o Sun Aug 28 19:21:03 UTC 2011 (1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul11c
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get past 30 mins time in Solaris?

Hi guys, could you help to find a way to get the past 30 mins time in solaris. version: bash-3.00# uname -a SunOS solaris 5.10 Generic_142910-17 i86pc i386 i86pc I had tried the following ways, it works fine in GNU Linux, but doesn't work in Solaris. # date Tue Apr 2 01:01:49 CST... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

From past 10 days my one job is taking lots of time

One of my job is taking long running time. I need to identify from the unix log file can you please help how to troubleshoot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

10. AIX

NTP time problem

I got an ntp time problem on AIX server. os version is AIX7.1 OS LEVEL 7.1.0.0 i got below output,when i run the below command bash-3.2# ntpdate -dv XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4 Dec 12:50:49 ntpdate: 3.4y transmit(xxxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx) transmit(xxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
9 Replies
xntpd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  xntpd(8)

NAME
xntpd - Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/xntpd [-abdgmx] [-c conffile] [-e auth_delay] [-f driftfile] [-k keyfile] [-l logfile] [-p pidfile] [-r broaddelay] [-s statdir] [-t trustedkey] [-v sysvar] [-V def_sysvar] OPTIONS
Runs in authenticate mode. Listens for broadcast NTP and synchronizes to this if available. Specify debugging mode. This option may occur multiple times, with each occurence indicating greater detail of display. Allows xntpd to correct any time difference, including differ- ences greater than 1000 seconds. Listens for multicast messages and synchronizes to them if available (requires multicast kernel). Pre- vents xntpd from setting the system time backward. In NTP version 3, the default allows xntpd to set the system time backward. Specifies an alternate configuration file. Specifies the time (in seconds) it takes to compute the NTP encryption field on this computer. Specifies the location of the drift file. Specifies the location of the file which contains the NTP authentication keys. See ntp.keys(4) for infor- mation on the authentication key file format. Specifies a log file instead of logging to syslog. Specifies the name of the file to record the daemon's process id. Specifies the default round trip delay (in seconds) to be used if the daemon cannot automatically compensate for network delay when synchronizing to broadcasts. Specifies the directory in which to create statistics files. Adds a key number to the trusted key list. Adds a system variable. Adds a system variable listed by default. DESCRIPTION
The xntpd daemon maintains a system's time-of-day in agreement with Internet standard time servers. The xntpd daemon is a complete imple- mentation of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) version 3 standard as defined by RFC 1305, but also retains compatibility with version 1 and version 2 servers as defined by RFC 1059 and RFC 1119, respectively. The xntpd daemon does all computations in fixed point arithmetic and requires no floating point code. The computations done in the proto- col and clock adjustment code are carried out with high precision and with attention to the details that might introduce systematic bias into the computations, to try to maintain an accuracy suitable for synchronizing with even the most precise external time source. The xntpd daemon reads its configuration from a file at startup time. The default configuration file is /etc/ntp.conf. The xntpd daemon can be monitored and configuration options altered while the daemon is running by using either the ntpq(8) or the xntpdc(8) program. The xntpd daemon includes support for several commercially available external reference clocks. See ntp.conf(4) for information on the use and configuration of reference clocks. The Tru64 UNIX operating system also provides the NTP_TIME and MICRO_TIME kernel options to allow greater accuracy and time resolution. See ntp_intro(7) and Network Administration for more information. FILES
Default name of the configuration file Conventional name of the drift file Conventional name of the key file SEE ALSO
Commands: ntp(1), ntpdate(8), ntpq(8), xntpdc(8) Files: ntp.conf(4), ntp.keys(4) Network Administration HISTORY
Written by Dennis Ferguson at the University of Toronto. Text amended by David Mills at the University of Delaware. xntpd(8)