Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX [HP-UX] Established ports although LAN is disconnected. Post 302357533 by ejdv on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 05:28:05 AM
Old 09-30-2009
Quote:
vbe;So I doubt it being an HP-UX core issue, I always understood "whoever (application) opens a connection is responsible for closing it"
Thanks for replying.
It is always difficult to use the right technical terms and phrases, so my question may have come across a bit unclear.

First of all, I think it could be a general TCP/IP question, not really related to HP-UX.
It is just that it happens between 2 HP-UX boxes.

What I meant to say about it being a HP-UX core issue is that I expected the netstat information to come from the HP OS (for example the LAN adapter or so) and not from the applications that use ports/sockets.
Probably it is better to talk in TCP/IP terms, but one should know how Smilie

The assumption "whoever (application) opens a connection is responsible for closing it" makes sense, but in case of my issue, it forces me to take
into account that the netstat information is "unreliable".
Or better said: I have to keep in mind that this output is based on the information provided by the applications. A mind-shift.

In my case the LAN cable is pulled, so the first layer in the TCP/IP model, the link layer, is not present any more.
One box did the expected and released all related ports/sockets.
The other box is still pretending all is well.
As long as the application keeps the sockets in the established state, netstat will report them as established.
Which makes sense actually, while writing this, in principle the applications (application processes) are the best source for this, as they rely on this.

Anyway, bit by bit it is getting clearer, although I do not understand why the 2nd box is keeping the connections established.
I will read some TCP/IP information now, always useful Smilie

E.J.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Sniffing an established port

Hi All, On a solaris box A port B in which port B is established and receiving data. My question is how do i listen on that established port , how can i get the data received at box A: port B through my application I had searched the forum for the same, but i am unable to retrieve the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Monitor displays Cable disconnected

Hi all This is my first post in this forums. I hope some one can help me with this my Sun Ultra 60 worked fine couple of months back when i used a dell (1280x1024). i move to a MN last month n bought a new sony monitor with (1280x1024) but when i connect it to the box it monitor displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venuavula
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure private LAN and coporate LAN on the same machine-Solaris10

Hi , I am trying to configure a private LAN and corporate LAN on the same machien on Solaris 10. How can I achieve this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deedee
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to reconnect to a disconnected remote ssh session

hi all How to reconnect to a disconnected remote ssh session on solaris 10 is there any way (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

Local Lan, no-ip directed DNS forward, surf within lan

Hi, We have a website running on a local centos 5.4 surfer, static IP. The domain.com uses no-ip.com to take care of the DNS, it forwards all to my server. My router receives the port 80 call, routes it to my server and the world can see domain.com perfectly fine. However, we cannot see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

ESTABLISHED web process??

I put lsof -i -P -n into the terminal and this is the output. I believe i am being hacked?? lsof -i -P -n COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME SystemUIS 1578 melodysneed 9u IPv4 0x07d608ec 0t0 UDP *:* SystemUIS 1578 melodysneed 11u IPv4 0x0ba68810... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: melodysneed
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Ftp gettting disconnected

All, Trying to ftp to a remote ftp server. See following output: ftp -dv xx.xx.xx.xx Connected to xx.xx.xx.xx (xx.xx.xx.xx). 220 Microsoft FTP Service Name (xx.xx.xx.xx:username): ftpuser ---> USER ftpuser 331 Password required for ftpuser. Password: ---> PASS XXXX 230 User logged... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Gnome shows defaultfixed as disconnected

Hello, I have enabled defaultfixed and added the net0 per the solaris 11 documentation. I'm able to ping outside like google and internally but I'm just not sure why the gnome network utility shows wired(net0) as disconnected. Any ideas? Thank you ---------- Post updated 04-08-15 at 08:47 AM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris128
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ssh gets disconnected after idle.

My SSH to server got frozen after idle for a couple of hours. My related configuration are: In my /etc/ssh/sshd_config: ------------------------------------------ ClientAliveInterval 30 ClientAliveCountMax 4 TCPKeepAlive yes ------------------------------------------ and my ~/.ssh/config:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Nohup with ampersand & process gets disconnected

For years I have spawned shell scripts with nohup and ampersand and they run whether or not I stay logged in. Recently a client told us that we had to set a keep alive timeout on all of our Redhat 7.6 Linux servers. Our sysadmin set the following parameters in the sshd_config file on all of our... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
10 Replies
DNSSPOOF(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       DNSSPOOF(8)

NAME
dnsspoof - forge replies to DNS address / pointer queries SYNOPSIS
dnsspoof [-i interface] [-f hostsfile] [expression] DESCRIPTION
dnsspoof forges replies to arbitrary DNS address / pointer queries on the LAN. This is useful in bypassing hostname-based access controls, or in implementing a variety of man-in-the-middle attacks. OPTIONS
-i interface Specify the interface to use. -f hostsfile Specify the pathname of a file in hosts(5) format. Only one hostname allowed per line (no aliases), although hostnames may contain wildcards (such as *.doubleclick.net). expression Specify a tcpdump(8) filter expression to select traffic to sniff. If no hostsfile is specified, replies will be forged for all address queries on the LAN with an answer of the local machine's IP address. FILES
/usr/share/dsniff/dnsspoof.hosts Sample hosts file. SEE ALSO
dsniff(8), hosts(5) AUTHOR
Dug Song <dugsong@monkey.org> DNSSPOOF(8)