Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting storing values in arrays using shell Post 302357469 by varontron on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 01:07:24 AM
Old 09-30-2009
actually ripat, this will work:
Code:
test=($(ls));echo $(ls);echo ${test[1]}

no loop necessary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing values in variable

Hi All, Here is the description of the problem. I am scripting for database access using k-shell on solaris box dbaccess <databasename> - << EOF 2>/dev/null | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "}\ {printf "%s", $1}' | grep -v "^$" | \ read cnt1 OUTPUT TO PIPE cat WITHOUT HEADINGS select count(*) from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenating arrays cell values in shell scripting

Hi All, I want to concatenate the array cell values and form a string.. Is it possible? for ex. I have an array word_array contains d u m b and after concatenating the string shld be 'dumb' thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathur
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing information in arrays....

Hello, I am writing a shell script to do the following. It greps information from the messages log and then I use the cut command to isolate the field I need (the username) and output the information to a text file. I now have to do the following. Count how many times each user logged in. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing Command Line Values

Hi, I am trying to read the value passed by the user and store it in a variable so that later I can read it from the variable. But I am getting errors. Can you please help? Thanks. Code: $ECHO "Enter the Country for which you want the installation to be executed? (US/India):" read COUNTRY... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing Multiple Values in a Variable

Hi, My code is as below: integer i=7 while ((i <= 5 )); do # test_out is a variable which contains data separated by "^". a= `echo $test_out | cut -d"^" -f$i` echo "$a" (( i = i + 1)); done From the above code, i kept $i after f so that i can capture all the data which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing values in a list or array

i have a file called file.txt having the following entries. 2321 2311 2313 4213 i wnat to store these values in a list and i want to iterate the list using loop and store it in another list (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the values in text file using while loop in shell script

Hi Frdz while read line do name=`echo $line | cut -d' ' -f 1 ` password=`echo $line | cut -d`-` -f 2` name > logfile.txt password > logfile.txt done < list.txt When it is run, am getting last values in list.txt file only,it is not storing lall the list entry values. How can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing values in arrays using csh

I am reading a number of files but then I want to put the ranges xmin xmax ymin ymax as arrays for each file. Any idea how I can do this??? set j = 1 echo "Welcome $i times" while ( $j <= $i ) echo "$j" set fname = $fin-bst-misf.xy echo " "$fname ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing values in arrays

I have the following csh script which lets the use pass the following as an argument -legend=tag1/tag2/tag3/tag4/tag5/tag6/tag7 We pass a number of tags separated by '/'. I want to save the legend tags in an array and have done as below. How can I improve on this as things are getting quite... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing values in shell variable

Hi, I am writing a shell script where, x=y y=z When I want to print z, I can do $y How do I use only "x" without any direct reference to "y" to print z? Thanks, -G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)