Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX LTO3 Drive to read LTO3 tape with LTO4 content Post 302357465 by kwliew999 on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 12:54:24 AM
Old 09-30-2009
Question LTO3 Drive to read LTO3 tape with LTO4 content

Dear all experts,
I have a LTO3 tape drive and thinking of upgrade to LTO4 drive.
Before we proceed to upgrade, I have 1 question to ask.
As I will use the backup tape to restore into other server (pSeries p550), I have the problem of if I backup in LTO4 tape in future, how can I restore the LTO4 tape into server (pSeries p550) with only LTO3 Drive?

My question is
1) Can I use command "tcopy /dev/rmt0 /dev/rmt1"
when /dev/rmt0 is LTO4 tape (backup from p570 server using LTO4 drive)
and /dev/rmt1 is LTO3 tape

2) If #1 is ok, can the LTO3 drive read the LTO3 tape? (which been tcopy from LTO4 tape)

3) If #2 is ok, can the LTO3 tape be restored into p550 server with LTO3 Drive?

Thanks.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

2. AIX

pax error on appending data to LTO3

I have problem when I use the command "pax -awvf /dev/rmt0 ./data1" in AIX 5.3.0.0. The command with parameter -a allow me to append the tape but when I try to retrieve the data that I append, it will show me error. I would like to know if anyone have the same problem and any solution found? Tq. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
0 Replies

3. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. AIX

can't find a LTO3 drive through SAN,pls help!

Hi,everyone the situation is: at the very beginning ,through cfgmgr i find all LTO3 drives and 9840D drives. Then, some guy changed the device id(loop id) of all the stk drives on the tape lib panel. This time, i ran the cfgmgr but got nothing. so i asked that guy to change the loop id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzisking
2 Replies

5. AIX

Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive for pSeries p570

I have 2 servers in my office which are p570 and p550. Both run under AIX 5300-07. And I only have 1 x SCSI Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive. For syncronization purposes, I always backup p570 server's database and restore into p550 server. And due to the frequent process of syncronization, I require to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

6. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)