Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get the exit code of -exec in the find command Post 302357251 by Neo on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 08:02:59 AM
Old 09-29-2009
I think it might be easier to run find and then store the results in a temporary file, then run a script to read the file and execute your rsync command.

You can easily get the exit code of rsync that way.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command with prune and exec

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi People, I have a directory full of compressed files (.Z extention) In many of these files there is a string pattern (3800078163033) I want to find all file names which contain this string in their text. Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] weird in find -exec command

i feel weird with this 2 command find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -mtime +1 -type f -exec rm -f {}\; find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -mtime +1 -type f -exec ls -lrt {}\; the first one return correct which only delete those filename that consist *test* where second command it listed all the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
SHAR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   SHAR(1)

NAME
shar -- create a shell archive of files SYNOPSIS
shar file ... DESCRIPTION
The shar command writes a sh(1) shell script to the standard output which will recreate the file hierarchy specified by the command line op- erands. Directories will be recreated and must be specified before the files they contain (the find(1) utility does this correctly). The shar command is normally used for distributing files by ftp(1) or mail(1). EXAMPLES
To create a shell archive of the program ls(1) and mail it to Rick: cd ls shar `find . -print` | mail -s "ls source" rick To recreate the program directory: mkdir ls cd ls ... <delete header lines and examine mailed archive> ... sh archive SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(1) HISTORY
The shar command appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The shar command makes no provisions for special types of files or files containing magic characters. The shar command cannot handle files without a newline (' ') as the last character. It is easy to insert trojan horses into shar files. It is strongly recommended that all shell archive files be examined before running them through sh(1). Archives produced using this implementation of shar may be easily examined with the command: egrep -v '^[X#]' shar.file BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD