Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep) Post 302357043 by deckard on Monday 28th of September 2009 01:58:20 PM
Old 09-28-2009
cfajohnson:

Thanks very much for the feedback. UUoC! I didn't know what that was until a little Google help... I'll demoggify the original script in a few minutes. Smilie

The reason I didn't use a variable is that the problem I'm trying to solve is when sleep is used by a process that doesn't have a terminal (scheduled from crontab or backgrounded and the parent shell terminated). Unless there's a way to set up variables that can be accessed from any shell on the system... Sometimes when I schedule a job with cron with the execution length controlled by sleep, I want to be able to reset the execution length. I'm sure there is a much cleaner way to do this than a temp file though.

---------- Post updated at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:41 PM ----------

Corona688:

Man that's pretty cool! (I only looked at the code, haven't tried it yet) You're right that it would probably be done better in C, but I'm still working on learning C. But thank you very much for taking the time to actually code something in C as an example for a better approach. That's what makes the people of unix.com so great! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep

what is the purpose of the sleep command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep under one second

If I want a script to sleep for less than a second, would I use a decimal? In other words, if I wanted my script to sleep for 1/4 of a second, would I say, SLEEP .25 ?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep less than 1 second

Does anyone know a way to sleep less than 1 second? Sometimes when I write scripts that iterates a loop many times it would be nice to slow things down, but sometimes 1 second is too much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorno
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sleep function

Hey everyone, just entering the linux world, I need some help with a shell script i'm trying to write, the purpose is to check every 10 minutes what was the last time a certain file was modified, and if there is a connection to the server at this moment send an email with the date of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshe88
2 Replies

5. Programming

C Sleep function hangs @ __kernel_vsyscall ()

This is the gdb backtrace. ^C Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt. 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall () (gdb) bt #0 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall () #1 0xb7e56a70 in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6 #2 0xb7e568bb in __sleep (seconds=0) at sleep.c:138 #3 0x080496d5 in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How the Sleep function will work?

Hi All, I am new to Unix , there i am facing one problem with sleep command. that is .. in while loop i have defined sleep function .. my condition is like this while #i knew this is infinite loop do sleep 200 echo "hello " done. this condition will never become .. true... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandlysreedhar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep while i > 0

Hi, I have a script that runs a process at the beginning and I want to sleep/wait until this process is finished and then continue with the rest of the script. I am trying with this, but it is not working: process=`ps -ef | grep "proc_p01 -c" | grep -v grep | wc -l` if ; do sleep 10 done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies

8. Programming

Sleep function not detected

Hello Im using geany to write my c codes. Below is my code to make the internal LED of beaglebone flashing. But i cant seem to use the sleep or delay to make the program wait for a couple of miliseconds. I've included all include files that i can find but none of it solve the problem. Any help is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HellRyder
1 Replies

9. Programming

Doubt with signals and sleep function

Hi , I have a doubt with signals and sleep function. In a program i have this while(1) { //do some work sleep(1); }And in a thread i have something like this union sigval data; char message; char msg; data.sival_int=0; while(1) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacesado
4 Replies
SLEEP(3)								 1								  SLEEP(3)

sleep - Delay execution

SYNOPSIS
int sleep (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Delays the program execution for the given number of $seconds. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - Halt time in seconds. RETURN VALUES
Returns zero on success, or FALSE on error. If the call was interrupted by a signal, sleep(3) returns a non-zero value. On Windows, this value will always be 192 (the value of the WAIT_IO_COMPLETION constant within the Windows API). On other platforms, the return value will be the number of seconds left to sleep. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the specified number of $seconds is negative, this function will generate a E_WARNING. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.4 | | | | | | | Before PHP 5.3.4, on Windows, sleep(3) always | | | returns NULL when sleep has occurred, regardless | | | of whether the sleep was interrupted or not. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 sleep(3) example <?php // current time echo date('h:i:s') . " "; // sleep for 10 seconds sleep(10); // wake up ! echo date('h:i:s') . " "; ?> This example will output (after 10 seconds) 05:31:23 05:31:33 SEE ALSO
usleep(3), time_nanosleep(3), time_sleep_until(3), set_time_limit(3). PHP Documentation Group SLEEP(3)