Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read each 2 records from a file Post 302356928 by kavithakuttyk on Monday 28th of September 2009 08:01:33 AM
Old 09-28-2009
How to read each 2 records from a file

Hi,

I have 10000 records in my test.dat file

All records are under the following format

Code:
a,12,45,bn,c
a,16,46,bn1,c
a,18,47,bn2,c
a,12,47,bn3,c
a,11,49,bn4,c

I have to read each 2 records and assign it into a temp file
.Can anybody help me in this?

Thanks

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: code tags, PLEASE!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a particular line in a file with 500000 records init

I am trying to open a file and check a record. The file has 543267 records and I want to check the record 514455. I am trying to open in vi and go to that line :514455 but i get the error not enough lines in buffer How should i overcome this? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhssatya
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read records from a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where I need to read records one by one from a file. I have tried this below code: while read mLine do echo 'Line = '${mLine} done < input_file --- But the problem here is im getting the records with removed spaces. --Supposer if the record is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need shell script to read particular records from a file

i am reading an i/p file input.txt as below and want to read all filenames as in highlighted in bold below and put them in a different file output.txt. can someone help me with a shell script to do this? thanks in advance regards brad input.txt --------- START TYPE:OPT INIT_SEQ:01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradc
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read next records

Hello friends, I am newbie in programing. I am facing some problems in awk. Please help me. I have a file with many data sets. Each data set is separated by an empty line. For example Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5 0.85 0.07 Fre 42:86 25 0.73 0.03 frp 21:10 28 0.64 0.04 Fre 42:86 63 0.47 0.08... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubeejani
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file with n records as one big string using linux

Hello! Is there a way i can read a file with n records as one big string using linux shell script? I have a file in the below format - REC1 REC2 REC3 . . . REC4 Record length is 3000 bytes per record and with a newline char at the end. What i need to do is - read this file as one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read records in a file and sort it?

I have a file which has number of pipe delimited records. I am able to read the records....but I want to sort it after reading. i=0 while IFS="|" read -r usrId dataOwn expire email group secProf startDt endDt smhRole RoleCat DataProf SysRole MesgRole SearchProf do print $usrId $dataOwn... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish468
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a particular records from a file?

Hi All Can anybody let me know the code to read a particular record from a file For e.g. File Name: File.txt File content: Script_path=/abc/def/script/ File_path=/xyz/data/ Business Date=19990905 SERVER_NAME=Server DATABASE_NAME=Database Login=NewUser Password=NewPassword ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddhartha9833
3 Replies
runacct(1M)															       runacct(1M)

NAME
runacct - run daily accounting SYNOPSIS
[mmdd[state]] DESCRIPTION
runacct is the main daily accounting shell procedure. It is normally initiated via cron(1M). runacct processes connect, fee, disk, and process accounting files. It also prepares summary files for prdaily or billing purposes. runacct takes care not to damage active accounting files or summary files in the event of errors. It records its progress by writing descriptive diagnostic messages into When an error is detected, a message is written to mail (see mail(1), mailx(1), or elm(1)) is sent to and and runacct terminates. runacct uses a series of lock files to protect against re-invocation. The files and are used to prevent simultaneous invocation, and is used to prevent more than one invocation per day. runacct breaks its processing into separate, restartable states using to remember the last state completed. It accomplishes this by writ- ing the state name into runacct then looks in to see what it has done and to determine what to process next. states are executed in the following order: Move active accounting files into working files. Verify integrity of file, correcting date changes if necessary. Produce connect session records in format. Convert process accounting records into format. Merge the connect and process accounting records. Convert output of chargefee into format and merge with connect and process accounting records. Merge disk accounting records with connect, process, and fee accounting records. Merge the daily total accounting records in with the summary total accounting records in Produce command summaries. Any installation-dependent accounting programs can be included here. Cleanup temporary files and exit. To restart runacct after a failure, first check the file for diagnostics, then fix up any corrupted data files such as or The files and file must be removed before runacct can be restarted. The argument mmdd is necessary if runacct is being restarted, and specifies the month and day for which runacct will rerun the accounting. Entry point for processing is based on the contents of to override this, include the desired state on the command line to designate where processing should begin. EXAMPLES
To start runacct. To restart runacct. To restart runacct at a specific state. WARNINGS
Normally it is not a good idea to restart runacct in its state. Run manually, then restart via: If runacct failed in its state, remove the last file because it will not be complete. FILES
SEE ALSO
mail(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), cron(1M), fwtmp(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
runacct(1M)