Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permissions Issues FTP server Post 302356900 by mokachoka on Monday 28th of September 2009 06:44:27 AM
Old 09-28-2009
Permissions Issues FTP server

Hi all,

Quick question, im going to find this a bit hard to explain but ill give it a go.

Basically i have an admin account on an FTP server that i want to be able to control ALL files without having to use sudo (as i need to run cron scripts to move files that are owned by a number of different users).

I have tried setting the admin account to be inside the ftpusers group but the default chmod is 744 (i think) so the group will not allow this? I hope your following me here.

Anyway i would like to know if i can setup an account that will be able to access any files or could someone let me know the best setup for a ftp server (with 10+) remote users and 10+ scripts this side to send, move and receive files. ie who should own the incoming folder, outgoing folder and what permissions should be set on it. I want remote users to be able to drop files off into there directory (then my scripts run and move them), i also want myself to be able to drop files into there accounts outgoing folder so there sent over to there ftp server (via a script) (using cron).

Thanks alot. Smilie

---------- Post updated at 05:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:29 AM ----------

Basically i need a user to override the owner on a certain group (ftpusers) with an admin account.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp permissions error

HI, I am not really even a newbie I'm just posing as one until our sys admin gets back from vacation. I am getting errors downloading certain files from an NT Server onto our inhouse Unix fileserver. Certain files always return errors when downloading to their proper directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie10
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions issues

I'm hoping this is a pretty simple question. I have a problem were memebers of a group can't delete or overwrite a file. The box is setup several users all part of the same group. Now default umask is 002. The problem I run into is there are processes that add to, del, and over write files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lightspd
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to run my own FTP server without root permissions

Hi all, I need your help with this problem. I have my own ftp server implemented in java. If I start it as root it is successfully binded to port 21 and everything works. Now I want to run it as non-root user, but for binding to port 21 it needs root rights. How to solve it? I alrady try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgione
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Permissions

Hi Guys, I am trying to grant FTP acccess to my server for a WebDesigner to be able to upload live and see how it looks online. I created a new user (WebDes:tomcatUsers) and created his home dir as /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/uPhoto/ and then made sure he CHROOT's to his home dir so he only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boarderstu
1 Replies

5. AIX

FTP file permissions

Hi all, I am using ftp command to transfer a file from one AIX5.3 box to different box with the same OS level. Is there a way I could change the permissions on the file once its transferred, as I am automating the process but the file permissions on the target does not allow other users to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Issues with LDAP user/group permissions on NFS share

I can't seem to make sense of this. $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 Beta (Tikanga) $ $ mount /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) /dev/sda1 on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfinn
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions on ftp...

hi, how can I see permissions through ftp connection ? I can't see them using "ls -l" as in the local system.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Wordpress & Git, urgent permissions issues, need help...

Heya, So I recently upgraded my MacBook to a solid state drive, during the re-install of Snow Leopard I chose to abandon MAMP and use the built in Apache & PHP and in doing so moved my ~/Sites to /Library/WebServer/Documents from a Time Machine backup. During this transition the permissions... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3w47m88
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Implement FTP server on RHEL server without using FTP client

We have RHEL 5.8 in our environment, I had a query whether we can implement an FTP server using vsftpd package and Linux configurations like setsebool without using any external FTP clients like FileZilla etc. I am very confused on this. The FTP functionalities that should be present are download &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Web Server/Permissions issues.

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this, and I have tried to trawl through relevant articles to fix the issue, but I am stumped. I have a server, log as root. var/www is root:root var/www/website-one is root:root var/www/website-one/neosmart-stream is root:root This... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LightCastle
10 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)