Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to redirect multiple input files? Post 302356606 by microstarwwx on Saturday 26th of September 2009 10:49:26 AM
Old 09-26-2009
how to redirect multiple input files?

I have a program that runs like "cat f1 - f2 -", I need to write shell script to run the program whose standard input will be redirected from 2 files. I spend a whole day on it, but didn't figure out. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to multiple files.

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and have a question. I would like to redirect the output of a command to multiple files, each file holding the exact same copy. From what I read from the bash manpage and from some searching it seems it cannot be done within the shell except setting up a loop. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbkihong
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can you redirect multiple files for input?

I have a program that is reading strings into a vector from a file. Currently I am using this command: a.out < file1 The program runs and prints the contents of the vector to the screen, like its supposed to. The problem is that it needs to read in 3 files to fill the vector. Is there anyway... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matrix_Prime
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console I tried tee but it writes to STDOUT , which I do not want. Test.sh ------------------ #!/bin/ksh echo "Hello " tee -a file1 file2 ---------------------------- $>./Test.sh $> Expected output: -------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies
acctdisk(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       acctdisk(8)

NAME
acctdisk, acctdusg - Perform disk-usage accounting SYNOPSIS
acctdisk acctdusg [-u file] [-p file] FLAGS
Searches file as the alternate file for login names and numbers, instead of searching /etc/passwd. Writes records of file names for which it does not charge into file. DESCRIPTION
Normally the acctdisk and acctdusg commands are called from the dodisk shell procedure to do disk-usage accounting. The dodisk shell proce- dure is invoked when the cron daemon executes commands in the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file. In the usual case, the output of the diskusg command is the redirected input to the acctdisk command. When a more thorough, but slower, version of disk accounting is needed, specify the -o flag with the dodisk command. This is not normally done in the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file. When the -o flag is used, the acctdusg command replaces the diskusg command. acctdisk Normally, the acctdisk command reads a temporary output file produced by the diskusg or the acctdusg command from standard input, converts each record into a total disk-accounting record, and writes it to standard output. These records are merged with other accounting records with the acctmerg command to produce a daily accounting report. acctdusg The acctdusg command is called when the -o flag is used with the dodisk command. This produces a more thorough, but slower, version of disk-accounting records. Otherwise, the dodisk shell procedure invokes the diskusg command. The acctdusg command reads a list of files from standard input (usually piped from a find / -print command), computes the number of disk blocks (including indirect blocks) allocated to each file divided by the number of hard links then writes an individual record for each user to standard output. To find the user who is charged for the file, compare each file pathname with the login directories of the users. The user who has the longest pathname component match is charged for the file. Therefore, the relevant information for charging users is not ownership of a file but the directory where it is stored. The acctdusg command searches the /etc/passwd file, or the alternate password file specified with the -p flag, for login names, numbers and login directories. Each output record has the following format: uid login #blocks EXAMPLES
To start normal disk-accounting procedures, add a line similar to the following to the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file: 0 2 * * 4 /usr/sbin/acct/dodisk The foregoing example is a typical, periodically invoked command that the cron daemon reads and executes. The period is expressed by a 6-field entry having the format: mm hh daymon monyr wkday cmd. For any field requiring digits, numbers are integers. These six fields have the following significance: Purpose Time variable that has the value 0 through 59 expressing minutes past the hour. Time variable for the hour of the day in 24-hour clock notation. Time variable for the day of the month. Time variable for month of the year. Time variable for the day or days of the week, where 0 is Sunday and inclusive days are separated with a hyphen (-). Command the cron daemon must execute. Whenever you write any of the time variables described in the foregoing table, an unspecified value must be noted with an * (aster- isk) to define an empty field. In the foregoing example, the dodisk shell procedure runs at 02:00 hours (2) every Thursday (4). The dodisk shell procedure calls the acctdusg command to redirect its input to a temporary file and then calls the acctdisk shell procedure to redirect disk-usage records from the temporary file as input to a /var/adm/acct/nite/[filename] file as output. The file stored in the /var/adm/acct/nite subdirectory is a permanent binary record of disk usage for the specified period. To initiate a slower, more thorough disk-accounting procedure, add a line similar to the following to the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file. 0 2 * * 0-4 /usr/sbin/acct/dodisk -o The dodisk shell procedure calls the acctdusg command and the acctdisk command to write disk-usage records to the /var/adm/acct/nite/[filename] file just as in the previous example. The dodisk procedure runs at 2 a.m. every day (0-6) including Sunday. FILES
Specifies the command path. Specifies the command path. User database file. The active login/logout database file. Accounting header files that define formats for writing accounting files. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: acct(8), acctmerg(8), cron(8), diskusg(8), dodisk(8), runacct(8) Functions: acct(2) delim off acctdisk(8)