Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to know whether my system is using DHCP or STATIC IP Post 302356527 by fpmurphy on Friday 25th of September 2009 11:56:02 PM
Old 09-26-2009
If you have a DHCP lease on a particular interface <interface>, you can find out this information from /var/lib/dhcpclient/dhclient-<interface>.leases.

There is a man page which describes this file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.xx Changing from static IP to DHCP

***Newbie alert*** What's the easiest way to accomplish this? An admin left our company and I have taken over his HP Workstation and moved it to a different location that is on a different IP segment. I have performed a number of google searches but the steps I have followed haven't worked. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

dhcp and static ip conflicts.

I have a USB Wireless Adapter using the rum0 driver. All I want to do is set a perminent static IP for the onboard wired interface elxl0. I can plumb the wired interface up fine on the fly, but when I try to save the static IP over a reboot, I lose the IP address assigned to rum0 from my wireless... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ts97783
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to configure DHCP to Static IP

I am pretty new to this. My router was earlier configured to enable DHCP, thus my UNIX box is using the dhcp address, i.e. I have to do a ifconfig dhcp hme0 start. Since I am planning to use my NT as a web server, I needed to use the static IP address. How do I configure the unix box to use the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee30320
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

Switching from DHCP to Static IP

I am trying to write a set of scripts for my Ubuntu 810 Server to allow a user to change from DHCP to a user-supplied Static IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS Servers. So far I have the following, where $USERCHOICE is a user-entered value in each case: ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth0 $USERCHOICE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleanden
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tell if i am using DHCP or Static

Hey guys , YEs this is probably silly for most but i am new to this forum and solaris . i am curious to know if the ip address we have for our solaris server is static or dhcp . how can i tell ? will ifconfig -a tell me this ? or other commands? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xdrivex
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Purpose of Static IP address through DHCP

Hi All, Could you please explain the purpose of assigning the static IP by using the DHCP Concept. Like by using the clients MAC address we assign the static IP Address. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in Advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

[Solved] Static or DHCP IP in HP-UX

Hi, I can find the IP details whether it is Static or dynamic in Linux machine from the location /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0 configuration file. Can someone suggest a location to find the same in HP UX machines? -Vivek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkk
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Static IP Address setup for vm as well as the host system

Hello, Greetings!! I have a server with 3 TB of disk space and 12 GB RAM and a i7 processor. What I did thus far is to install Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL 5.7)as the host system and install Oracle Virtual box and created 3 VM's. Installed OEL 5.7 on one of the VM, working on installing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Node switched itself from static to DHCP on reboot issue

I'm trying to figure out what circumstances would cause an Open Solaris 11.2 host to switch itself from a static to a DHCP ip address upon reboot. This has only happened once but is a cause for some concern as this machine will be part of a web server pool. Nothing has changed on the LAN that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris static IP changed (non DHCP)

We have 2 solaris 10 t5240 servers with static IP addresses on nxge0 I/F which were rebooted a few days back with a known good config that has been in place for years (for /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname.nxge0, /etc/netmasks, etc) They are not using dhcp. About the same time today, both of their... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdatontodo
7 Replies
dhcp(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   dhcp(5)

NAME
dhcp - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DESCRIPTION
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) enables host systems in a TCP/IP network to be configured automatically for the network as they boot. DHCP uses a client/server mechanism: servers store configuration information for clients, and provide that information upon a client's request. The information can include the client's IP address and information about network services available to the client. This manual page provides a brief summary of the Solaris DHCP implementation. Solaris DHCP Client The Solaris DHCP client is implemented as background daemon, dhcpagent(1M). This daemon is started automatically during bootup if there exists at least one dhcp.interface file in /etc. Only interfaces with a corresponding /etc/dhcp.interface file are automatically configured during boot. Network parameters needed for system configuration during bootup are extracted from the information recieved by the daemon through the use of the dhcpinfo(1) command. The daemon's default behavior can be altered by changing the tunables in the /etc/default/dhc- pagent file. The daemon is controlled by the ifconfig(1M) utility. Check the status of the daemon using the netstat(1M) and ifconfig(1M) commands. Solaris DHCP Server The Solaris DHCP server is implemented as a background daemon, in.dhcpd(1M). This daemon can deliver network configuration information to either BOOTP or DHCP clients. The Solaris DHCP service can be managed using the dhcpmgr(1M) GUI or the command line utilities dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M). DHCP Configuration Tables The Solaris DHCP server stores client configuration information in the following two types of tables: dhcptab tables Contain macros and options (also known as symbols), used to construct a package of configuration information to send to each DHCP client. There exists only one dhcptab for the DHCP service. The dhcptab(4) can be viewed and mod- ified using the dhtadm(1M) command or dhcpmgr(1M) graphical utility. See dhcptab(4) for more information about the syntax of dhcptab records. See dhcp_inittab(4) for more information about the DHCP options and symbols. DHCP network tables DHCP network tables, which contain mappings of client IDs to IP addresses and parameters associated with those addresses. Network tables are named with the IP address of the network, and can be created, viewed, and modified using the pntadm command or dhcpmgr graphical utility. See dhcp_network(4) for more information about network tables. SEE ALSO
dhcpinfo(1), dhcpagent(1M), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), ifconfig(1M), in.dhcpd(1M), netstat(1M), pntadm(1M), syslog(3C), dhcp_network(4), dhcptab(4), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp_inittab(4), dhcp_modules(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide Alexander, S., and R. Droms. RFC 2132, DHCP Options and BOOTP Vendor Extensions. Silicon Graphics, Inc. Bucknell University. March 1997. Droms, R. RFC 1534, Interoperation Between DHCP and BOOTP. Bucknell University. October 1993. Droms, R. RFC 2131, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Bucknell University. March 1997. Wimer, W. RFC 1542, Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol. Carnegie Mellon University. October 1993. SunOS 5.10 13 Mar 2001 dhcp(5)