Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modprobe problem
Operating Systems Linux Modprobe problem Post 302356500 by vertigo23 on Friday 25th of September 2009 05:59:00 PM
Old 09-25-2009
Question Modprobe problem

I'm trying to get a watchdog module working on a server. (Watchdog timers are little hardware devices that reboot the system if it becomes unresponsive.) The module takes some options like the timeout til reboot, what power action to take, etc. I've set these options up in /etc/modprobe.d/options

When I run modprobe ipmi_watchdog by hand, it works as expected. When I let it run from the watchdog init.d script, it does not (system does not reboot after timeout).

Is there any way to look at the options specified on an already-loaded kernel module?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I run something as root (modprobe, to be exact) every time computer starts.

I have the root password for my box, but I'm ignorant. So, every time I start my computer, I have to run this command /sbin/modprobe fuse as su, so that I can do other stuff (like mount remote directories locally using sshfs) I guess there's some file, like .bashrc, only it's applicable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

"modprobe -r cdrom" error.

hello all, i used modprobe -r usb-storage its working properly but when i use the same command with cdrom module as modprobe -r cdrom it is giving error as Fatal error:module cdrom in use, but i dont have any thing in rom and not using it. thanx. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
9 Replies

3. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modprobe spi_bitbang results in error messages

Hi, I'm having a problem with the voyage linux distribution. I've been busy to include a CAN driver, which uses the SPI bus to communicate. While I was busy debugging the code, everything worked fine while performing a modprobe of the SPI driver to get it all running. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nistap
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

problems after modifying modprobe.conf

Hey Guys, I am having a problem after modifying the modprobe.conf. I added a few entries for the HBA drivers. When I noticed that it would not boot after this, I mounted a knoppix disk and removed those lines from the modprobe.conf. Now after removing those lines, it is still stuck at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore

Hello Linux forum! I am working on an older Red hat Linux version(kernel) 2.4.21 and I have compiled the kernel and I select it on startup, but I get the following errors: Mounting Local Filesystems: Modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module udf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.rhtuner
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Modprobe prepare new IP address

Hello, I m working on virtualization and saved the templates in virtual server. On creating the new Virtual machine or linux system, is there a way where during booting, it should prompt for new IP address, gateway, DNS and hostname? Or is there any configuration in linux where we can modify... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modprobe error message

Hi anyone knows what this error message means and how to fix it? igb 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002) igb 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT D -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16 igb 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64 igb 0000:01:00.0: Hardware Initialization Failure igb 0000:01:00.0: PCI... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rmmod,modprobe or dracut?

I am making few changes inside modprobe.d directory, now there are two options to make them effective 1) rmmod module, make changes and modprobe module 2) dracut -f I was wondering what's the difference between two, in terms of result, dracut makes kernel image again though and the other unplug... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies
reboot(1M)                                                                                                                              reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)