Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting User perl to get memory installed in a machine Post 302356484 by insania on Friday 25th of September 2009 04:42:49 PM
Old 09-25-2009
User perl to get memory installed in a machine

I currently have a statistics gathering script i run on my Linux servers. One of the stat i gather is total memory in the machine. The script is all perl with the exception of gathering the memory for that i use the following command:

Code:
 $ram = (`cat /proc/meminfo |  grep "MemTotal" | awk '{print \$2}'`);

Is there a way to do this with an internal perl command (modules would work too, however to install them i need to go through a change management process). I just want to make it a pure perl script, not that it will make it any better i just want to.

thanks,

Sean

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get amount of memory installed.

Hi! I'm not a UNIX fanatic but I like using it for the Oracle database since it's not stable in the Windows NT environment (what is?). Problem: Is there any command to show me the amount of installed physical-memory in the machine? Is there some other way to show the processes which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgholm
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Find JRE installed in linux machine..?

Hi all, Im new to linux... Im in need to write a shell script to check wthr JRE in linux machine... Wtz de best way to find thru BASH?? Plz help me out to solve this issue... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XivaX
3 Replies

3. Linux

Findout iLO type installed in a machine

I have to write Linux script to findout what kind of ilo is been installed in the given ip address either ilo/LO100 or no device found. IP address will be given in the command line of the script. -> With out log on to the ip address, should get the ilo type installed in that machine. 1. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skmdu
1 Replies

4. Linux

Launching X apps from a machine without X installed

Hi. Here's my setup: a workstation with an X server a CentOS server with no X server installed (development, security is not a concern) a GUI application installed on the server When I ssh to that machine, I get: ssh -Xl root 192.168.x.x Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flj
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i understand if a Java Virtual Machine is installed on Unix??

Hello, i would like to figute out, if there is any JVM installed on my unix account. How can i figure that out?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to set password for vnc software installed in windows machine?

i want user to prompt for password when ever he tries to login into solaris box using vnc software. is it possible.. each time the user tries to access a solaris box should be prompted for password. and each user can set his own password for his session? if all the above are possible which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

What time did Ubuntu installed on machine?

How can I learn what time OS installed time and release information. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Having solaris installed over VM ware machine in windows

I have installed solaris 10 over VM ware in windows machine. now i want to share the files from windows to solaris. how can i do so.. and pls tell if through putty i can access the solaris from windows machine without logging onto VMware. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Finding installed packages on Linux machine

Hi, i am trying to grab all the installed packages on linux machine,and only want to grab "Name" "Version" "Release" "Vendor" information i am using below command to do so : rpm -qa --info | grep -e 'Name' -e 'Version' -e 'Release' -e 'Vendor' the output contains lot other info... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find whether Solaris installed on physical machine or on a VMware/KVM?

Hi All, . I am trying to find whether Solaris 11 installed on physical server or on VMware/KVM. I tried uname -a but it's giving only whether i installed on X86 or sparc machine. I tried prtdiag command but it's giving below information. command : prtdiag -v |grep "System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
2 Replies
NETDUMP-SERVER(8)						  System Programs						 NETDUMP-SERVER(8)

NAME
netdump-server - handle crash dumps over the network SYNOPSIS
netdump-server [--port portnumber] [--concurrent number] [--pidfile path] [--daemon] [--help] [--usage] DESCRIPTION
Listens to the network for clients that crashes and uses the netdump protocol to recieve a memory dump and a stack trace. The memory dump and oops message are stored in a timestamped directory in /var/crash. The server can also run scripts when some events happen. OPTIONS
--port portnumber Specifies the IP port number for the netdump server to listen to. The default is 6666. --concurrent number You can limit the amount of concurrent dumps being done at any one time. If more clients than the specified maximum connects at one time the last ones will just be logged and then rebooted. --pidfile path Store a pidfile. The default service uses /var/run/ttywatch.pid. The default is not to write a pidfile. --daemon ttywatch should background itself and run as a daemon. EXAMPLES
netdump-server --daemon This launches the netdump-server and puts it in the background, listening for crashed clients. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is 0 for a clean exit and non-0 for a non-clean exit. FILES
/etc/netdump.conf A configuration file read by netdump-server on startup. It is a "key=value" style file. Currently it supports the options: port, max_concurrent_dumps, daemon and pidfile. /etc/init.d/netdump-server An init script to start a default system installation of netdump-server. This is normally turned off by default; use the command /sbin/chkconfig netdump-server on to enable the netdump-server service. /var/crash The main directory where the crash dump files are stored. Each dump is put in a subdirectory named with the ip of the crashed machine and the date and time of the crash. /var/crash/scripts This directory can contain scripts that are run at various times. They all get passed the ip of the crashing machine as the first argument, and each one except netdump-start gets the directory that the dump is written into as the second argument. netdump-start - This is called when a client connects to the server to tell it that it has just started the netdump client. This normally means that the machine just booted up. netdump-crash - This is run when a client reports that it has crashed. If it returns a non-zero value the dump request will be ignored and the client will be told to reboot immediately netdump-nospace - This is run when there is not enough diskspace for the dump of the crashed machine. If this script exits with a non-zero return value netdump-server will try once again (but only once) before giving up the dump. If this script exits with a zero return value, netdump-server will reboot the client without performing a dump. netdump-reboot - This is run when netdump-server is finished with a client and is about to tell the client to reboot itself. SEE ALSO
netdump(8) BUGS
Report any bugs you find to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla AUTHOR
Alexander Larsson <alexl@redhat.com> Linux 14 Feb 2002 NETDUMP-SERVER(8)