Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell scripts for record Re format Post 302356447 by Shanks on Friday 25th of September 2009 02:23:57 PM
Old 09-25-2009
Honestly , so far
I had been trying with command line Vi , Sed commands.
trying to put the code together now , I had from the forum , so looking for <tr> and <expand> too

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to Convert Scripts in Linux format

I have scripts which I want to convert in Linux format. Note these scripts are in txt format.But I want to convert them in Linux, as DBA's will be using this script. Any command or utility which converts tht files in proper Linux format. Thanks in Adavce. Kunal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niceboykunal123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to perform record format checks

Hi All, I have a requirement to perform the following checks. Input file is a "|" delimited file and looks like this. A|c1|c2|c3|.... B|G1|G2|G3.... C|H1|H2|H3... A|c4|c5|c6|.... B|G4|G5|G6.... C|H4|H5|H6... Now the check is to see if all the "A" records have a corresponding B... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsjdrr
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripts - shows today’s date and time in a better format than ‘date’ (Uses positional paramete

Hello, I am trying to show today's date and time in a better format than ‘date' (Using positional parameters). I found a command mktime and am wondering if this is the best command to use or will this also show me the time elapse since 1/30/70? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting scripts from dos 2 unix format

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and exploring it , I have developed few sample shell script but I have developed them on windows xp notepad and then saving them on folder and then testing them on cywgin and running perfectly...but these scripts are in dos format and I want to convert them in unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting particular record format in a file using AWK

I am trying to count records of particular format from a file and assign it to a variable. I tried below command br_count=wc -l "inputfile.dat"| awk -F"|" '{if (NF != "14") print }' but I amnot able to get it done. Please share me some idea how to get it done. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! needed to displaying an output in record format

Hi Friends, Am new to Unix world and this is my first post in this forum. I was stuck in displaying the content. while displaying the content the below points to be taken care 1 ) The header format is repeating 2) To display the value in table format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky2013
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need code for updating second record to first record in shell scripting

Hi,, I have requirement that i need to get DISTINCT values from a table and if there are two records i need to update it to one record and then need to submit INSERT statements by using the updated value as a parameter. Here is the example follows.. SELECT DISTINCT ID FROM OFFER_GROUP WHERE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samah
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format your scripts with shfmt

I've been working on a tool to format (style) shell programs, much like gofmt for Go. After much testing and personal use, I'm throwing it out there to see if it's useful to anyone else. GitHub - mvdan/sh: A shell parser and formatter in Go You'll need golang to build and install it. If this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvdan
11 Replies
DBVIEW(1)							Database Management							 DBVIEW(1)

NAME
dbview - View dBase III files SYNOPSIS
dbview [-b|--browse] [-d delim| --delimiter delim] [-D|--deleted] [-e|--description] [-h|--help] [-i|--info] [-o|--omit] [-v|--version] [-r|--reserve] [-t|--trim] dbfile DESCRIPTION
Dbview is a little tool that will display dBase III files. You can also use it to convert your old .dbf files for further use with Unix. It should also work with dBase IV files, but this is mostly untested. By default dbview displays the contents of a dBase III or IV database file. This is be done by displaying both the name of the field itself and its value. At the end of every record a newline is appended. OPTIONS
If no option given dbview only displays the database in its most friendly way. --browse, -b switches into browse mode. Using this mode no fieldnames will be displayed, instead every record will displayed in one line using a delimiter to separate fields. --delimiter, -d delimiter The default delimiter in browse mode is the colon sign ``:''. This parameter overrides it. This can be useful especially if you plan to examine the output with scripts. --deleted, -D displays deleted records as well as the delete state in each record in the database. --description, -e displays the field description of the database. --help, -h displays a complete (or short) help screen. --info, -i displays some (partially technical) information about the database like number of records and length of each record. --omit, -o omits displaying the whole database. Using this parameter can be useful if you're only interested in the structure. --reserve, -r Normally fieldnames are converted into a more friendly format. They are stored in capital letters, but that looks like shouting. This parameter supresses the conversion. --trim, -t When this option is specified, leading and trailing spaces are omitted. This might be useful when in browse mode. --version, -v displays version and exits. NOTES
As dBase is DOS, umlauts are stored using a different code table (namely ASCII) than most modern unices (namely ANSI). If you encounter such a file, I would recommend piping the output through recode(1) with ibmpc:latin1 as it's argument. If you want to examine the output generated by the browse mode, just take cut(1) and set its delimiter to the used delimiter or take awk(1) and continue. COPYRIGHT
Dbview is free software. It is based on routines from unknown source that I found on nic.funet.fi in /pub/msdos/languages/c as dbase.c. The file contained the following notice: These functions are provided by Valour Software as a gift. I have modified and included this file and wrote a skeleton around it. All together provides a powerful tool for dBase III and IV database manipulation under Unix. I mainly have written this program, because I've got several dbase files containing important information for me. As I won't go running DOS everytime I need some of the stored information, I had to find a viewer that runs unter Unix, resp. Linux, but unfortunately didn't find one. So it was my turn. This package as a whole is published under the GNU Public License, which is a great invention. It wasn't the intention to write a freaking viewer and reinvent the wheel again. Instead dbview is intend to be used in conjunction with your favourite unix text utilities like cut, recode and more. Martin Schulze Infodrom Oldenburg joey@infodrom.north.de SEE ALSO
recode(1), more(1), awk(1), cut(1). Unix November 20th, 2006 DBVIEW(1)