Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directories sizes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directories sizes Post 302356411 by gio001 on Friday 25th of September 2009 11:45:30 AM
Old 09-25-2009
Directories sizes

Hello everyone,
can anybody help me in finding a way to obtain a list of all the directories and their sizes.
I would like to be able to run this and obtain an output like a tree structure with each branch saying how much space it is taking up .
Hope you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks !

---------- Post updated at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:37 AM ----------

I found this .... it seems ok.
find . -type d -exec du -sk {}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search directories for files with zero sizes to delete

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will use ls on a directory and list the files one at a time and their size. If the size is 0 i want it to ask me if I want to delete it (yes or no). If I say yes, I want it to delete but it won't know what the file name is just from running from the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akeenabawa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the directories, sub directories in a mount along with size in ascending order?

Hi , I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In a particular mount, have to list all the directories and sub directories along with size of the directory and sub directory in ascending order. Please help me in this regard and many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Directories with their sizes in human readable format

Hi, I want to list all the directories present in a particular location and want to display their sizes as well. I know "ls -lh" but it doesn't show the size of the complete directory. So i want something like dir1 266 MB dir2 2 KB dir3 22 MB ... ... file1 10 Kb ..... Thanks Sarbjit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
WMANAGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       WMANAGER(1)

NAME
wmanager -- choose a window manager and launch it SYNOPSIS
wmanager [OPTIONS ...] DESCRIPTION
The wmanager program displays a choice of the window managers listed in the ~/.wmanagerrc file. When one is picked, the related command is written to standard output, intended to be used by shell scripts. If the program is exited without choosing a window manager, ``-1'' is written to standard output. -fg COLOR Set the foreground color. -bg COLOR Set the background color. -bg2 COLOR Set the widget background color -di[splay] host:n.n Set the X display. -dn[d], -nod[nd] Enable/disable drag & drop, probably does nothing. -g[eometry] WxH+X+Y Set the window size and location. -i[conic] Start as iconified. -k[bd], -nok[bd] Enable/disable keyboard support. -na[me] CLASSNAME Set the X window class. -s[cheme] SCHEME Unknown, probably does nothing useful. -ti[tle] WINDOWTITLE Set the window title. -to[oltips], -not[ooltips] Enable/disable tooltips, probably does nothing. EXAMPLE
To start using wmanager, create a ~/.wmanagerrc file - generally with wmanagerrc-update(1) - and add something like the following at the end of your ~/.xsession file: WM="$(wmanager -geometry +570+585)" ... exec $WM See also wmanager-loop(1) for a nicer way to start wmanager. SEE ALSO
wmanager(1), wmanager-loop(1), wmanagerrc-update(1), X(7x) HISTORY
The wmanager program was written by Meik Tessmer in 1999. This manual page was originally written in perldoc format by Tommi Virtanen in 2000, and converted to mdoc format by Peter Pentchev in 2008. AUTHORS
The wmanager program - Meik Tessmer <fuller@daemogorgon.net>. The manual page - Tommi Virtanen <tv@debian.org> and Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>. BSD
May 22, 2008 BSD