Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory NFSv4 on Netapp and Redhat 5.3 as Client Post 302356360 by oku on Friday 25th of September 2009 08:44:41 AM
Old 09-25-2009
NFSv4 on Netapp and Redhat 5.3 as Client

Hi Folks!

I'm new in using NFSv4 and do have a little trouble. I had a partition working with NFSv3, at the beginning i couldn't see on the client the German umlauts letters {ö,ä,ü} a manipulation of the LANG environment variable helped and the filenames with this letters were shown normally (before the letter was replaced by an "?"). That all worked fine until we wanted to use NFSv4. The problem with the umlauts is back again. But this time it is not a "?" by that they are replaced. Every umlaut is replaced by "~#seq.Nr" and the rest of the word is cut of.

I have read that the Server and the Client hve to use the same charset, so we changed the charset on the NetApp to de_DE.UTF-8 and the Redhat to LANG=de.UTF-8. Unfortunately it didn't changed anything.

I am very thanfull for all your helps, that i can read my regular filenames again without this replacements und cut-off.
I tried several hours to find a good solution, e.g. I'm not really interessted in renaming the whole system tree. Because it would be a lot of lines to manipulate.

Kind Regards and Thank you for your help

Oku

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Use DFM Netapp 3.01 R1 on Solaris 8

I have this problem when i integrate a new san switch in DFM 3.01 R1 : dfm fcswitch add switchname1 Error: Host switchname2 (11197) already exists. switchname2 is a similar san switch but in another fabric, switchname2 is already integrated in DFM database. Bests Regards Olivier (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omainfroy
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

How to configure a Redhat 9.0 as NIS+ client

I would like to know how to configure a Redhat 9.0 as NIS+ client. I have seen the post of larry, but it is not enough information for me to do the configuration. Could anyone tell me how to do it? Please help! Thank you! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexhon
3 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

netapp security

Hi all Background some of the users shuold have access to a folder on the netapp and for other users the access should be denied Question How can I doing that ? Thanks at advance Sam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skfn1203
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Getting NFSv4 prompt when installing bootable DVD

Hi, I've created a bootable DVD which works fine for earlier versions of Solaris 10 (6/06) and Solaris 9. But now i've moved to Solaris 10 8/07 and I am getting the NFSv4 prompt at login. Initially i thought i could surpress this by adding the line nfs4_domain=dynamic to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: declanryan
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Using Redhat VIA SSH client.

Alright, I'm not really sure how to say this, since my professor didn't really understand what I was saying, but we have a project in my operating systems class, and what we have to do is create a linux IPC, so I'm using the msgget(), msgsnd(), msgrcv() functions. Now, I run a Windows machine, so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blind melon
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat nfs client hangs after 5 minutes

New at NFS. 3 machines at hand 1 RedHat nfs Client which is connected to a spectrometer (chemistry Instrument): # uname -a Linux BH083108 2.6.9-78.0.17.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Mar 5 04:52:17 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux # cat /proc/version Linux version 2.6.9-78.0.17.ELsmp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpg4815
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL (POSIX and NFSv4) Support over NFS shared drives on different Unix platforms

Hello, I have a question regarding ACLs and their availability across different Unix platforms via NFS share. If I have an AIX/FreeBSD/Solaris/HP-UX client that has an nfs share from a different system mounted on it, will the ACLs on the nfs share be processed properly? My guess is that as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
2 Replies

8. AIX

Netapp iscsi lun

Hi, I have aix 6.1 box. I want to configure iscsi luns from netapp storage. I tried in google but not getting proper solution for that. i m not getting the proper iqn name. Please share me the steps to complete this requirements. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
1 Replies

9. AIX

Migrating NFSv3 to NFSv4 in AIX

Hello, I worked on setting up NFSv3 and NFSv4 (novice) shares separately. I was trying to find a way to migrate existing NFSv3 fileshares to NFSv4 as is. I found a redbook online called "Securing NFS in AIX". It has good info. I am able to create a new NFSv4 share, do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies
RPC.IDMAPD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     RPC.IDMAPD(8)

NAME
rpc.idmapd -- NFSv4 ID <-> Name Mapper SYNOPSIS
rpc.idmapd [-v] [-f] [-d domain] [-p path] [-U username] [-G groupname] [-c path] DESCRIPTION
rpc.idmapd is the NFSv4 ID <-> name mapping daemon. It provides functionality to the NFSv4 kernel client and server, to which it communi- cates via upcalls, by translating user and group IDs to names, and vice versa. The options are as follows: -v Increases the verbosity level (can be specified multiple times). -f Runs rpc.idmapd in the foreground and prints all output to the terminal. -d domain Set domain to domain. This is used internally by NFSv4 and is typically assigned by the system administrator. By default, domain is set to be the FQDN of the host, minus the hostname. -p path Specifies the location of the RPC pipefs to be path. The default value is "/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs". -U username Specifies the NFSv4 nobody user to be username. The default value is "nobody". -G groupname Specifies the NFSv4 nobody group to be groupname. The default value is "nobody". -c path Use configuration file path. -C Client-only: perform no idmapping for any NFS server, even if one is detected. -S Server-only: perform no idmapping for any NFS client, even if one is detected. EXAMPLES
rpc.idmapd -d "citi.umich.edu" -f -vvv Runs rpc.idmapd with the domain "citi.umich.edu" in the foreground, printing all messages to console, and with a verbosity level of 3. FILES
/etc/idmapd.conf SEE ALSO
idmapd.conf(5) AUTHORS
The rpc.idmapd software has been developed by Marius Aamodt Eriksen <marius@citi.umich.edu>. BSD
February 3, 2003 BSD