Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting what is wrong with this expr line Post 302356198 by shadow_boi on Friday 25th of September 2009 12:29:13 AM
Old 09-25-2009
what is wrong with this expr line

It keeps giving me expr syntax error.
Code:
expr "${etherline[*]}" : ’.*no match found’ 2>&1 >/dev/null

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this 5 line script!

Hi #!/bin/sh user=$1 if " -eq 0 ] echo "No" else echo "Yes" fi I'm not quite sure whats wrong with this but I know its something silly. Any ideas? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this line?

I have a file $I_FILE that I need to filter and store the 1st and the 9th columns in another file $O_FILE. With this in Perl, system ("awk -F, '{print \$1, \$9}' \$I_FILE | sed '\/^\$\/d' > O_FILE"); I get: 4096045055 The first line in I_FILE is:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is wrong with this line?

system ("$ssh '$perf_stats' < temp_pipe 2>&1 &"); I need to start and interact with my executable defined by perf_stats on a remote machine but not change my command line to that of the remote machine. temp_pipe is a node created by mknod -f temp_pipe (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong with this line using perl

E:\>perl -00ne 'push @a,"$_\0$ARGV\n";END{print reverse split/\0/ for sort @a}' file1-obj_prof.out.txt file2-obj_prof.out.txt' Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this command line pls?

I executed the following command and got Arg List too long. find /dir1/dir2/LOG_* -prune -type f -mtime +3 -exec echo {} \; What's that about? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to delete last word on line...what's wrong?

I have a line that gets pulled from a database that has a variable number of fields, fields can also be of a variable size. Each field has a variable number of spaces between them so there is no 'defined' delimiter. The LastData block is always a single word. What I want to do is delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with tiny (g)awk line ??

Hi I wish to capitalize the first letter or every word in a text file with: gawk '{$0=gensub(/(\w)(\w*)/,toupper("\\1")"\\2","g");}' file.txtBut it doesn't work...: target: bla test Test TEST yes nO Yes yes restult: bla test Test TEST yes nO Yes yes any idea? thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's wrong with my awk line?

] && { echo "The free mem need to be more than 2G" } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
EXPR(1) 								FSF								   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like `match' or an operator like `/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expr programs are properly installed at your site, the command info expr should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 EXPR(1)