Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers AWK Output not working with tail -f Post 302356002 by methyl on Thursday 24th of September 2009 09:05:25 AM
Old 09-24-2009
Please post sample lines, including a sample alarm line.
Please state the largest size of the log, the largest number of records and the frequency of starting a new log.

The main issue is that the "awk" in the script pipes a number of strings containing "date" to "sh" but does not end the stream to allow "sh" to execute the commands. The approach is flawed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output from tail to a user

Hi all I've read through a few of these lists but can't find a right combination of answers (I can create VPN's but can't send an email!) Ok - I'm using taper as backup software which generates a log file called taper_log I want the last eight lines of this log file to be sent to a specified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why tail +n not working?

Hello at my home when i try tail +5 emp it works but when i try in my college it doesn't work! what can be the problem any idea? when i type man tail it gives me various options in which it's mentioned that tail +n can also work when you want to display from nth line. But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to alert if no output from tail -f command

Hi Dears, I am using AWK script to monitor some log files. My awk will get the input from the output of tail -f LOGFILE. (tail -f LOGFILE | myawkanalyzer) My doubt is, How can I notify, if I didn't get any output from the tail -f command. i.e) Log file stuck for some reason. I want to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy tail output to an external file in perl

The below code works to tail client.log file. but I want to copy the output into an external file /home/tail.txt Can anyone please help. #!/opt/bin/perl -w open my $pipe, "-|", "/usr/bin/tail", "/var/log/client.log" or die "could not start tail on /var/log/client.log : $!"; print while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting a Ctrl-C trap working w/ a piped tail -f...

Hi All, Although each line below seems to work by itself, I've been having trouble getting the Control-C trap working when I add the "|perl -pe..." to the end of the tail -f line, below. (That |perl -pe statement basically just adds color to highlight the word "ERROR" while tailing a log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird tail output over ssh

Hello; Am trying to correct the formatting of tail output over ssh. Using the following code: echo "" > $FILE for BOX in $SERVERS do echo "Processing on $BOX" |tee -a $FILE echo "===============================" >> $FILE sudo ssh $BOX 'TERMINAL="vt100" /usr/bin/sh -s' <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines and words of a stream output with tail

Hello, I need to tail -f a file output stream and I need to get only lines that contains "get" and "point" in the same line. It doesn't matter the order. Then I need only the text BEFORE "point". I have to count each line and perform other serveral actions after this has performed 3 times.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail -f | grep > output.txt

hi guys, I perform a sort of monitoring. I have a server running and with tail -f | grep "Searchstring"I monitor the log-file for recent specific entries. This is ok and works fine. Now, in addition I want to have my search results not posted into the shell but into a file. I tried: tail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LaUs3r
3 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)