Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers AWK Output not working with tail -f Post 302355931 by scott_tiger on Thursday 24th of September 2009 05:58:19 AM
Old 09-24-2009
AWK Output not working with tail -f

Hi ,

I have Continuous updating log file. I want to continuously scan that file using "tail -f " and execute a shell command like "date" command when that particular keyword is detected .

I am using awk to acheive it but not suceeded so far. However when I use "cat" instead of tail -f this statement works.. I am using ksh . can somebody tell where the problem could be.

tail -f alarms.log | awk -- '/CRITICAL_ALM/ {if ($12==8974) {print "date"}}' | sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output from tail to a user

Hi all I've read through a few of these lists but can't find a right combination of answers (I can create VPN's but can't send an email!) Ok - I'm using taper as backup software which generates a log file called taper_log I want the last eight lines of this log file to be sent to a specified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why tail +n not working?

Hello at my home when i try tail +5 emp it works but when i try in my college it doesn't work! what can be the problem any idea? when i type man tail it gives me various options in which it's mentioned that tail +n can also work when you want to display from nth line. But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to alert if no output from tail -f command

Hi Dears, I am using AWK script to monitor some log files. My awk will get the input from the output of tail -f LOGFILE. (tail -f LOGFILE | myawkanalyzer) My doubt is, How can I notify, if I didn't get any output from the tail -f command. i.e) Log file stuck for some reason. I want to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy tail output to an external file in perl

The below code works to tail client.log file. but I want to copy the output into an external file /home/tail.txt Can anyone please help. #!/opt/bin/perl -w open my $pipe, "-|", "/usr/bin/tail", "/var/log/client.log" or die "could not start tail on /var/log/client.log : $!"; print while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting a Ctrl-C trap working w/ a piped tail -f...

Hi All, Although each line below seems to work by itself, I've been having trouble getting the Control-C trap working when I add the "|perl -pe..." to the end of the tail -f line, below. (That |perl -pe statement basically just adds color to highlight the word "ERROR" while tailing a log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird tail output over ssh

Hello; Am trying to correct the formatting of tail output over ssh. Using the following code: echo "" > $FILE for BOX in $SERVERS do echo "Processing on $BOX" |tee -a $FILE echo "===============================" >> $FILE sudo ssh $BOX 'TERMINAL="vt100" /usr/bin/sh -s' <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines and words of a stream output with tail

Hello, I need to tail -f a file output stream and I need to get only lines that contains "get" and "point" in the same line. It doesn't matter the order. Then I need only the text BEFORE "point". I have to count each line and perform other serveral actions after this has performed 3 times.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail -f | grep > output.txt

hi guys, I perform a sort of monitoring. I have a server running and with tail -f | grep "Searchstring"I monitor the log-file for recent specific entries. This is ok and works fine. Now, in addition I want to have my search results not posted into the shell but into a file. I tried: tail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LaUs3r
3 Replies
MTAIL(1)							   User Commands							  MTAIL(1)

NAME
mtail - tail variant designed for web developers monitoring logfiles SYNOPSIS
mtail [options] <file>... DESCRIPTION
MonkeyTail allows a user to tail multiple files on both local and remote hosts and clearly marks inactivity by putting 5 newlines in the output whenever a pause in output over 3 seconds is detected. MonkeyTail is implemented a fairly simple wrapper script around standard tail, ssh, and sudo. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode --quiet " " -n Output the last N lines of each file before tailing (defaults to 0) <file>... Files to tail. These can specified in the following ways: @<groupname> - expands the group (from .mtailrc) to a list of files to tail <filename> - tails a local file. +<filename> - attempts to sudo and tail a local file (will prompt for pwd if required). <remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke tail via ssh on a remote host. +<remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke sudo tail via ssh on a remote host (will prompt for pwd if required). SEE ALSO
mtailrc(5), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 MTAIL(1)