Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading environment variable from awk script Post 302355586 by zaxxon on Wednesday 23rd of September 2009 06:34:05 AM
Old 09-23-2009
You should try awk -v to hand over shell variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variable on a remote solaris machine using shell script

Hi, I am trying to set environment variable on a remote machine. I want to do it by running a shell script Here's what I am doin rsh <remote-hostname> -l root "cd /opt/newclient; . ./setp.sh" In setp.sh, I have ############################# cd ../newlib; export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to return environment variable

HI , In the below script I am trying to return the value of the environment variable TIBCO_HOME to the caller #! /usr/bin/csh set VAR_NAME=$1 echo VAR_NAME On the aix console.. set to setenv TIBCO_HOME /app/tibco When I execute the script... myscript.sh TIBCO_HOME, the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting environment variable in awk

Dear all, I have a data sample... Dose: Summed ROI: Bladder ************************** Bin Dose Volume 001 0.700 100.000 002 0.715 99.998 168 3.142 0.368 169 3.157 0.338 170 3.171 0.292 Dose: Summed ROI:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use AWK to read an Environment variable

Dear Unix gurus, Perhaps I'm missing something,.....I'm having the most infernal difficulty getting AWK to read in an environment variable. For example, value=5 awk '{print ""$value""}' should return the number "5". This is not the case. Can somebody help?:confused: cheers (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variable using shell script

Hi All, I'm trying to write an menu driven program to automate some functions which involve loging to multiple hosts. The hosts can differ for every use, so I thought I would use an config file to get the hostnames. Now I need to set those values in the config file to environment variable to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve the value of environment variable in shell script which called from crontab

There are two files one is shell script (sample.sh) and another is configuration file (sampl_conf.cfg) configuration file contains one variable $FTP_HOME. the value of this variable vaires for user to user. If user is say jadoo then value is /home/jadoo/ftp/, for user1 - /home/user1/ftp. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable in shell script called through crontab

Please help me on below.. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141533-retrieve-value-environment-variable-shell-script-called-crontab.html#post302442024 I'm still here. I can still see you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Source environment variable in script

Hi, I construct a bash script to finish some tasks. One of the task is to set up some environment variables. There is already one script file to complete the environment variables setting work. I am not able to know the detail of how to set these variables. So, I may just need to call this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gofortime
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a column from excel using shell script in Linux environment

Hi all I am new to shell scripting. I need to read the 1st column and last of the excel file in linux environment. Can some one help me with examples (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vigneshj28
3 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)