Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find 5 lines and replace with 18 line in sql file where it contains multiple blocks. Post 302355580 by Zaheer.mic on Wednesday 23rd of September 2009 02:00:34 PM
Old 09-23-2009
(1) Yes but how is this block different from the other 24? You will need this information in order to identify and replace this block correctly (out of the 25).

Ans: The 1st line and last line of this block are unique from other block.
The 1st line is “rem Subset Rows (&&tempName.*) and
The last line is “WHERE testvalue is not null”. Through this way I can identify this block.

(2) Are all the blocks identical? If so, which block do you want replaced? The 1st, 2nd, 25th? Or all?

Ans: Not all block are identical only few of them are identical. The block which I want to replace is not present in this file (xyz_abc.sql). I want to find this identical block from xyz_abc.sql and then replace the block which is present in another file called repl_file.sql.

The xyz_abc.sql file contains 25 blocks. In xyz_abc.sql file I need to identify the following 5 lines block.

rem Subset Rows (&&tempName.*)
CREATE VIEW &&tempName.* AS
SELECT *
FROM &&tempName.*
WHERE testvalue is not null.

And then replace with following block which is present in repl_file.sql. This repl_file.sql contains only one block.

rem Subset Rows (&&tempName.*)
CREATE VIEW &&tempName.* AS
SELECT STUDYID STUDYID, DOMAIN DOMAIN, USUBJID USUBJID, ggg(y) ABSEQ,
ABGRPID ABGRPID, ABREFID ABREFID, ABSPID ABSPID, testvalue
testvalue, ABTEST ABTEST, ABCAT ABCAT, ABSCAT ABSCAT, ABPOS
ABPOS, ABOARES ABOARES, ABORRESU ABORRESU, ABNRIND ABNRIND,
ABSERESC ABSERESC, ABSTEESN ABSTEESN, ABSTRESU ABSTRESU,
ABSTAT ABSTAT, ABREBSND ABREBSND, ABXFN ABXFN, ABNAM ABNAM,
ABLOINC ABLOINC, ABMETHOD ABMETHOD, ABBLFL ABBLFL, ABDRVFL
ABDRVFL, ABEVAL ABEVAL, VISIT VISIT, VISITNUM VISITNUM,
VISITDY VISITDY, ABDTC ABDTC, ABDY ABDY, ABTPTNUM ABTPTNUM,
ABTPT ABTPT, ABELTM ABELTM, ABTPTFEF ABTPTFEF, X1 X1, X2 X2,
X3 X3, X4 X4, X5 X5, X6 X6, X7 X7, X8 X8, X9 X9, X10 X10, X11
X11, X12 X12, X13 X13, X14 X14, X15 X15, X16 X16, X17 X17, X18
X18, X19 X19, X20 X20, X21 X21, X22 X22, X23 X23, X24 X24, X25
X25, X26 X26, X27 X27, X28 X28, X29 X29, X30 X30
FROM &&tempName.*
WHERE testvalue is not null

MIC

---------- Post updated at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:52 PM ----------

(1) Yes but how is this block different from the other 24 ? You will need this information in order to identify and replace this block correctly (out of the 25).

The 1st line and last of this block is unique. thru this way can identify.

(2) Are all the blocks identical ? If so, which block do you want replaced ? The 1st, 2nd, 25th ? Or all ?

Not all the blocks are identical only few of them is identical. The block which i want replace is not present in xyz_abc.sql.

can we do this way.

my target file should be removed the identical block from xyz_abc.sql file and replace with repl_file.sql file block.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace multiple lines in file

Hello I am a beginner in shell script. I was trying to find a way to replace multiple lines of a file with different set of multiple line. sed -n '/begin/,/end/p' < sample1.txt >test.txt UNEDITED=`cat test.txt` vi test.txt EDITED=`cat test.txt`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find and replace multiple lines

I am new to linux and would like to modify the contents of a file preferably using a one line. The situation is as follows <start> some lines "I am the string" "replace string" more lines here <end> In the above example,On encountering "I am the string", the "replace string "should be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supersimha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace multiple lines

I have a section of text in file A, see below # falkdjf lkjadf lkjadf lkajdf lkajdf lkajdf lkjadf lkjadf 234.234.2.234 lkjlkjlk 234.234.3.234 # Only the first line with "# falkdjf lkjadf lkjadf" is unique in the file. The new section that I want to overwrite the old section above is in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyang72211
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multiple multi line blocks of text containing pattern

Hi, I have a log file which has sessionids in it, each block in the log starts with a date entry, a block may be a single line or multiple lines. I need to sed (or awk) out the lines/blocks with that start with a date and include the session id. The files are large at several Gb. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to find common lines and replace next line

I want to find common line in two files and replace the next line of first file with the next line of second file. (sed,awk,perl,bash any solution is welcomed ) Case Ignored. Multiple Occurrence of same line. File 1: hgacdavd sndm,ACNMSDC msgid "Rome" msgstr "" kgcksdcgfkdsb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madira
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script using awk to find and replace a line, how to ignore comment lines

Hello, I have some code that works more or less. This is called by a make file to adjust some hard-coded definitions in the src code. The script generated some values by looking at some of the src files and then writes those values to specific locations in other files. The awk code is used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure(3pm)

NAME
SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure - SQL::Translator procedure object SYNOPSIS
use SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure; my $procedure = SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure->new( name => 'foo', sql => 'CREATE PROC foo AS SELECT * FROM bar', parameters => 'foo,bar', owner => 'nomar', comments => 'blah blah blah', schema => $schema, ); DESCRIPTION
"SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure" is a class for dealing with stored procedures (and possibly other pieces of nameable SQL code?). METHODS
new Object constructor. my $schema = SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure->new; parameters Gets and set the parameters of the stored procedure. $procedure->parameters('id'); $procedure->parameters('id', 'name'); $procedure->parameters( 'id, name' ); $procedure->parameters( [ 'id', 'name' ] ); $procedure->parameters( qw[ id name ] ); my @parameters = $procedure->parameters; name Get or set the procedure's name. $procedure->name('foo'); my $name = $procedure->name; sql Get or set the procedure's SQL. $procedure->sql('select * from foo'); my $sql = $procedure->sql; order Get or set the order of the procedure. $procedure->order( 3 ); my $order = $procedure->order; owner Get or set the owner of the procedure. $procedure->owner('nomar'); my $sql = $procedure->owner; comments Get or set the comments on a procedure. $procedure->comments('foo'); $procedure->comments('bar'); print join( ', ', $procedure->comments ); # prints "foo, bar" schema Get or set the procedures's schema object. $procedure->schema( $schema ); my $schema = $procedure->schema; equals Determines if this procedure is the same as another my $isIdentical = $procedure1->equals( $procedure2 ); AUTHORS
Ken Youens-Clark <kclark@cshl.org>, Paul Harrington <Paul-Harrington@deshaw.com>. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-18 SQL::Translator::Schema::Procedure(3pm)