Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file Post 302355314 by jacktravine on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 10:09:16 AM
Old 09-22-2009
jlliagre,

Thanks, I did not know zip worked that way. I tried with gzip however it does not work the same way as the zip command. What I am going to do is mv the file and have the date be appended then gzip all those files.
[code]
mv testfile testfile.`date +%Y-%m-%d`
[code]

My original intention was to have a file be gzip'd with the last modified date of the file appended to the file. I realized that mv does not alter the modified date of a file. Basically these are log files and I want to make sure someone behind me can debug an issue by knowing when the log file was last modified due to logging.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated,
-jack

Last edited by jacktravine; 09-22-2009 at 11:39 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File date and time stamp

I have to capture the creation date and time stamp for a file. The ls command doesn't list all the required information. I need year, month, day, hour, minute and second. Any ideas... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xenon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a new file with date stamp

Hi, can any one tell me how to achieve this...I will input the path and file name and it should rename it to current date and time... this is what I tried... #! /usr/bin/sh set -x cd /info_stg/vul/Scripts TODAY_DATE_TIME=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` IN_FILE_PATH=`cat file.txt | awk -F, '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Stamp on new file

Dear Gurus, I'm trying to move a number of files from one directory to another directory with a new date stamp. This is my script: #! /bin/csh Today_Date=`date +%Y%M%D` mv /usr/TRS/data/TS* /usr/TRS/backup/TS*.${Today_Date} when i run the script i'm getting the following errors: mv:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append date time stamp via ftp script

I have searched several thread and not found my solution, so I am posting a new qustion. I have a very simple script on an AIX server that FTPs 2 files to a MS FTP server. These 2 files are created on the AIX server every hour, with a static name. I need to FTP the files to the MS server, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sknisely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with creating a text file in perl with file creation date.

Hi, I am quite new to Perl scripting and i need to create a .TXT file using perl, with fields (A,B,C,D,E), and this text file should be named with current file creation date "XYZ_CCYYMMDD.TXT" (i.e.XYZ_2011042514:33 PM). Can anyone who has done this, please share their expertise on this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
5 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to append date and time stamp before the two extensions?

hi, i have some file names. my file names are as follows: c_abc_new.txt.xls c_def.txt.xls i want to append date time stamp in the below manner. c_abc_new_YYYYMMDD_HH24MISS.txt.xls c_def_YYYYMMDD_HH24MISS.txt.xls check the two input file names, they differ in naming. the 1st file name... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:Script to append date and time stamp

Help with Perl script : I have a web.xml file with a line <display-name>some_text_here</display-name> Need to append the current date and time stamp to the string and save the XML file Something like <display-name>some_text_here._01_23_2014_03_56_33</display-name> -->Finally want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want it to read the file name and then append date stamp at the end of file?

I was thinking something like for i in `find . -name "*.log.Z"`; do mv $i name.log.Z or something like that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific part of the file name with file creation date?

Hello Folks, I have an requirement, where i need to get total count of the file based on creation date with there filename selected pattern. Filename: MobileProtocol.20171228T154200.157115.udr I want to get the count of files created on each day based on a pattern find. find . -type... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
7 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)