Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Basic number checking problem Post 302355229 by chebarbudo on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 05:54:50 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Hey ChrisHoogie,

Depending on the rest of your script, you can put everything in one line :
Code:
read input
egrep -q '^[0-9]{1,3}$' <<< "$input" || { echo "$(basename "$0"): Wrong input" >&2; exit 1; }
the
rest
of
your
script

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sequence number checking

Hi there, I'm wanting to produce a shell script that will check through some file names and identify a skip in sequence (four digit seq num in file name). I have played on the idea of havng a file that has a sorted list of file names which I can read line at a time and cut out the sequence... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nhatch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking jump sequence number (part2)

The following script have some bug...can you all help me: #!/bin/sh start=1 for file_number in `ls -1 /appl/CH_DATA/archive/list1/CACHE/CDBACKUPFILEJohn*.archived | sort | cut -c 48,49,50,51` do if ; then # this is the first pass of the loop, so we've got nothing to compare start=0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking invoice number not correct

hello, I have the following script to check the invoice number is in order or not. However, it cannot show out the correct information. My expect output show below and I would like to only list out the NOT IN SEQUENCE inovice number (not included "ok") #!/bin/sh start=1 for file_number in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the smallest and largest number

Hi All, My script is reading a log file line by line log file is like ; 19:40:22 :INFO Total time taken to Service External Request---115ms 19:40:25 DEBUG : Batch processed libdaemon.x86_64 0-0.10-5.el5 - u 19:40:22 INFO Total time taken to Service External Request---20ms 19:40:24... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for proper number of files in dir

Using Solaris 10 and sh. I have three files. mydirs.txt /dir1/dir2/dir3 /dir4/dir5/dir6 mydirshave.txt 1 2 mydirsshouldhave.txt 2 2 For each directory listed in mydirs.txt I should have the number of files equal to mydirshouldhave.txt. But using -ls |wc -l- on the dirs I get what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking if parameter passed is a number

I have written a function that fills an array and another function where if a parameter is supplied it will jump to that part of the array and cat it to the screen. I need to put in some checks to make sure the parameter supplied is firstly a number and then not a number great than the length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

checking for number of arguments.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Your script must check for the correct number of arguments (one argument). If somebody tries to invoke the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brooksie91
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking a number

ok im trying to find out how many cars a user enters. Its giving me an error message of "integer expression expected" Basically if i enter any number over 0 (zero) it should continue read -p "How many cars:" carsn test $cars -ge 1 test $? -ne 0 && read -p "Invalid number.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking number of commas in each line.

Hi All, I am checking whether each line is having "n" number of commas or nor. In case not then I need to exit the process. I tried cat "$TEMP_FILE" | while read LINE do processing_line=`expr $processing_line + 1` no_of_delimiters=`echo "$LINE" | awk -F ',' '{ print NF }'` if ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)