Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Algorithm of find command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Algorithm of find command Post 302355214 by oku on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 04:42:20 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Thank you for your answers. I'm going to read the man pages and write my report.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find command to find exact dir from the root

I want to find a dir called STOP from the root.so what is the find command. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find to command to find the files created last 30 days

what is the find to command to find the files created last 30 days (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, regular expression, anyway to simplify this find command?

Hello everyone, first post here, trying to learn scripting on my own and this forum as been really helpful so far. I made few little scripts working great but I m facing some problems with RE. I have a bunch of files in many subdirectories called *001.ext *002.ext OR simple *.ext or *01.ext... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

An algorithm to be written in linux command

Hi All, I wrote the following script in R. However, i can not run it. Because the data file is so big. Therefore, i need to write it in shell script. Could you please help me? ###################################### data=as.matrix(read.table("data.txt"))... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to find a word from list of files

I need to find a word '% Retail by State' in the folder /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation. When I tried like below, -bash-4.1$ cd /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation -bash-4.1$ find ./ -name % Retail by State find: paths must precede expression: Retail Usage: find ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)