Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to assign the output of the interective script to the variable Post 302355159 by danmero on Monday 21st of September 2009 07:50:10 PM
Old 09-21-2009
Code:
# cat script1
echo 90232

# cat script0
a=`./script1`
echo $a

# sh -x script0
+ ./script1
+ a=90232
+ echo 90232

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to assign an output to a variable

Hi, I am giving a grep command, and i am getting the output. i want to store it in a variable for eg a = grep '12345' /dir/1/2/log.txt ( the output is number) b= grep 'basic' /dir/1/2/log1.txt (in this case the output is character) so how to assign the output of grep to a variable ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hot to assign output to a variable

I want to assign a comment to a veriable for example my program head -1 myfile I want to assıgn output to a variable (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign sql output data to shell script variable

Hi Guys ! I am new to unix and want to find out how we can make sql statement data to shell script variable? Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated -Chandra (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kattics
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign command (with pipe) output to a variable

Hi , I would like to assign command (with pipe) output to a variable. The code is as follows. The goal of the code is to get the last folder folder with a particular name pattern. myDate=`ls | grep 2009 | tail -1` echo "myDate=" $myDate However, in the presence of the pipe, the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff_cen
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign dscl output to variable as an array

Greetings folks, I am trying to assign the output of a dscl command (contains name<spaces>id) to a variable as an array. Currently I am piping the output into a tmp file, then reading the tmp file into an array, then parsing the array. I would like to bypass creating the tmp file portion of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In bash script, how to assign output of a command to a variable while keeping tabs?

Hi, wondering if it's been asked before but didn't find matches from google. Basically I have this line: myvar=$(echo -e "a\tb") Now somehow the '\t' from the echo output gets replaced with white space and then stored in $myvar. It creates a problem for me later to use tab as delimiter to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: birddie
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign command output to variable

Code set -x STATUS="0" echo $STATUS for i in `ls -ltr Report*|awk '{ print $9 }'` do if then flg = "`head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33`" echo `head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33` echo $flg if then echo "having Fun" STATUS="2" else echo "no Fun" fi fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funkeydude
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign output to dynamic variable

Hi Folks, I am trying to assign a value from the command to a dynamic variable. But I am not getting the desired output.. I am sure something is wrong so i need experts advise. There will be multiple files like /var/tmp/server_1, /var/tmp/server_2, /var/tmp/server_3, having different server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign the Output of an SQL Query to a Variable?

Hi iam new to shell scripting how to declare variables as redshift query and I have to compare two counts by using if condition . ex:count=select count(*) from prd; select count(*) from prd; select count(*) from tag; can any one help me . Please use CODE tags when displaying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam526
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)