Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo statement when find returns null Post 302355005 by tchoruma on Monday 21st of September 2009 07:58:20 AM
Old 09-21-2009
echo statement when find returns null

Hi,

How do you echo something once when a find statement returns null results?

This is when using mutiple locations and mutiple arguments.

The below find command the inner loop of a nested for loop where the outter loop holds the $args and the inner loop holds the locations.

find $location -name $args

Want the statement to print 'no such file' for the $args when all locations have been searched and not found a matching file in any of the locations. But just print the location and nothing else if the arg is found in any of the locations.

Sorry if this has been asked before I've searched and not found anything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo statement

Does anyone know the correct syntax for computing arithmetic expressions inside the echo statement? Let me know, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: circleW
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement falling over on a null record. Help please.

Okay i've got some code which reads a text file and loops through it and there a few if statements inside where one is failing (the one bolded). Basically the acc column contains a list of three digit access codes, some though have null records (i.e nothing in the field) so what I want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyR
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

gethostbyname_r returns NULL when hostname has dash

We have a code to find the DNS entry of a host that has a trailing '-' in its url (format example: mysite-.watch.com): if(gethostbyname_r(host,host_ent,host_buffer,host_buffer_size,&host_error)==NULL) { //failed } But when remove the '-' from the host name the code does not return... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
12 Replies

5. Programming

PEM_read_RSAPublicKey returns NULL

Hi all, I am trying to write a program in C which will generate private and public keys using openssl RSA and use these for encryption and decryption. I am able to generate the keys successfully and write these to files. I am able to read the private key successfully. I can encrypt and decrypt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Treasa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk returns null?

hi i try to check if awk returns null and i dont know how it's works this is the command set EndByC = `ls -l $base | awk '/.c$/ {print $9}'` if ($EndByC=="") then #check if ther is XXX.c directory echo Sorry ther is no XXX.c folder "in" $base path echo the XXX.c folder is necessary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenkelor
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo x - returns: x: command not found

I have been experiencing this problem intermittantly, I thought the problem was '/bin/sh -> /bin/dash' but I changed that to bash and the problem persists. I am writing functions to be included in user's '.bash_profile' through source or '.' filename a quick example of the problem is illustrated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsquared
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement for null

Hi, I want to be able to check if a variable is not equal to null. I am using KSH, and am getting this error message when i run this script: : assignment requires lvalue The line which is causing the problem is as follows: if (($SFTP_DESTINATION != '' ));then if ssh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jack_Maloney
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Ping echo not returns

Hi there, I have 2 HP-UX on same subnet and having a problem on one about ping. I'll call them as hp01 hp02. hp01 can ping hp02 (ping says %100 transmitted) hp01 can ssh/telnet hp02 hp02 can ssh/telnet hp01 hp02 cannot ping hp02 (ping says %100 packet loss) There I thought of ndd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalliege
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo 2>/dev/null with a find command help

Why does this not work? echo 'find / -iname \'*katt*\' -size +500M 2>/dev/null' How does this work? I have 5 single quotes. I though you needed an even amount of single quotes. echo 'find / -iname \'*katt*\' -size +500M 2>/dev/null'' What is the trick to make it work with an alias? This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
hash(1) 							   User Commands							   hash(1)

NAME
hash, rehash, unhash, hashstat - evaluate the internal hash table of the contents of directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/hash [utility] /usr/bin/hash [-r] sh hash [-r] [name]... csh rehash unhash hashstat ksh hash [name]... hash [-r] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/hash The /usr/bin/hash utility affects the way the current shell environment remembers the locations of utilities found. Depending on the argu- ments specified, it adds utility locations to its list of remembered locations or it purges the contents of the list. When no arguments are specified, it reports on the contents of the list. The -r option causes the shell to forget all remembered locations. Utilities provided as built-ins to the shell are not reported by hash. sh For each name, the location in the search path of the command specified by name is determined and remembered by the shell. The -r option to the hash built-in causes the shell to forget all remembered locations. If no arguments are given, hash provides information about remem- bered commands. The Hits column of output is the number of times a command has been invoked by the shell process. The Cost column of output is a measure of the work required to locate a command in the search path. If a command is found in a "relative" directory in the search path, after changing to that directory, the stored location of that command is recalculated. Commands for which this will be done are indi- cated by an asterisk (*) adjacent to the Hits information. Cost will be incremented when the recalculation is done. csh rehash recomputes the internal hash table of the contents of directories listed in the path environmental variable to account for new com- mands added. unhash disables the internal hash table. hashstat prints a statistics line indicating how effective the internal hash table has been at locating commands (and avoiding execs). An exec is attempted for each component of the path where the hash function indicates a possible hit and in each component that does not begin with a '/'. ksh For each name, the location in the search path of the command specified by name is determined and remembered by the shell. The -r option to the hash built-in causes the shell to forget all remembered locations. If no arguments are given, hash provides information about remem- bered commands. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported by hash: utility The name of a utility to be searched for and added to the list of remembered locations. OUTPUT
The standard output of hash is used when no arguments are specified. Its format is unspecified, but includes the pathname of each utility in the list of remembered locations for the current shell environment. This list consists of those utilities named in previous hash invoca- tions that have been invoked, and may contain those invoked and found through the normal command search process. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of hash: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the location of utility. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by hash: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 17 Jul 2002 hash(1)