Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to run a process when the computer is idle? Post 302354953 by pludi on Monday 21st of September 2009 04:44:37 AM
Old 09-21-2009
There's a small logical error in your example: nice only advises the process scheduler, and a high niceness doesn't mean that the process will wait 'till nothing else is running. It just means that those processes with a lower niceness will run first, and after they're done or waiting it'll get CPU time just like the others.
Besides, the example you've given is probably more influenced by I/O waits of 2 (or more) processes accessing the HDD than the scheduler.

As for your problem, you could check the first or second field of /proc/loadavg (1 / 5 minute load average), and depending on that start your process. It can't, however, predict whether or not another, CPU intensive, process will start just 5 seconds after.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run a script when your computer is idle

I am trying to run a script that I made when my computer is idle. How do I go about doing this. Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehansaeed
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding idle time of a process

Matez, I have a list of process id's in a text file. I want to know how to find the idle time of a process which are more than 300secs and kill them accordingly. Could you please help me to get these details. I want to write a shell script with this. Thanks..Krish :) (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
36 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see if the process is idle

We are running AIX 5.3 and for ICICS Printing we have process called cicstermp runing whcih attaches the print to print queue But is process is triggered when ever a print is to be given Can we find the processes which are idle I mean every time a print is given it creats a new cicstermp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill process after x idle min?

I need a script to kill those process id whose idle time is more than 30min plz help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
3 Replies

5. AIX

Kill IDLE Process using script !!!

Dear Friends , I am using DB2 database in AIX 5.3 server . In my server some IDLE process are generated after several times which I need to kill it manually each and every time . The process I query like following : root@bagpuss $ ps auxw|sort -r +3|head -10 USER PID %CPU %MEM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Why CPU idle 0 process nohub lose

Hello Solaris 8 when CPU idle 0 . why nohub process lose ? Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppmanja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

idle% cpu and run queue

Hi Everybody, Can anybody explain how CPU idle% is about 50%, but runq-sz more than 1? sar from Solaris 10: 00:00:05 %usr %sys %wio %idle 17:00:08 27 12 0 61 17:20:05 40 15 0 45 17:40:05 27 12 0 61 18:00:05 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill idle Process using a script

Hi, I need a script that can automatically kill all processes named "webrepn" and "webrebw" if idle for more than 30 minutes. Then I will have a Cron Job to run the script every night or 2-3 times a day depends on how this script helps. Right now, I run "ps -ef | grep webrebn" and "kill -9... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaggieL
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Idle Process Exhausting CPU

I noticed when having some trouble with code I was testing that the CPU was becoming exhausted and I would have to reboot. After rebooting a couple times I decided to check for other problems before trying my code again. That's when I noticed that the CPU with the idle process was through the roof:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Activate command when computer is idle

I would like to run a command if my computer is idle. I found this, but is not quite working. #!/bin/sh idletime=$(xprintidle) threshold=300000 # 5 min = 5 * 60 * 1000 ms if ; then echo "idle for 5 minutes." fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
4 Replies
UPTIME(1)							   User Commands							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime [options] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. OPTIONS
-p, --pretty show uptime in pretty format -h, --help display this help text -s, --since system up since, in yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS format -V, --version display version information and exit FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng December 2012 UPTIME(1)