Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris deleting blank space in beginning of line in vi Post 302354896 by varontron on Sunday 20th of September 2009 09:29:21 PM
Old 09-20-2009
To delete blank spaces at the start of lines 7 thru 21:

Code:
:7,21s/^ +//

That's [colon seven comma two one s slash carot space plus slash slash]

To do it on every line:

Code:
:%s/^ +//

That's [colon percent s slash carot space plus slash slash]

Colon = command mode
numbers or % = lines to edit
s = substitute
slashes separate pattern and replacement strings
carot = start of line
space = actual space
plus = one or more
2 slashes = empty replacement string = delete

hth,
dv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the blank line in a file and counting the characters....

Hi, I am trying to do two things in my script. I will really appreciate any help in this regards. Is there a way to delete a last line from a pipe delimited flat file if the last line is blank. If the line is not blank then do nothing..... Is there a way to count a word that are starting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete blank space in begining of line

Hi All, below is my data file file.txt $$0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 $$0 ServerB LAN1 AAA IT02 04/30/2008 09:16:26 here $ is a blank space how to delete first 2 blank spaces in a file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk until blank space and print next line

Hello and Happy New Year 2012! I have this example: 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 For that, I'm trying to get: 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 for that, I think this might work but doesnt work so far: awk '{for(i=1;i=NF;i++);sub(/\//,"",$i);print $i}' myfile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space at beginning of the line

How can I delete spaces at the begining of all lines of my file ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing one or more blank characters from beginning of a line

Hi, I was trying to remove the blank from beginning of a line. when I try: sed 's/^ +//' filename it does not work but when I try sed 's/^ *//' filename it works But I think the first command should have also replaced any line with one or more blanks. Kindly help me in understanding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Space and blank line from file in UNIX shell script

I have below file. I want to remove space at begining of every line and then after also remove blank line from file. I use below code for each operation. sed -e 's/^*//' < check.txt > check1.txt sed '/^\s*$/d' < check1.txt > check2.txt above code not remove all the space... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohin Jain
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue deleting blank line from a file

I'm trying to delete the blank lines from the file $Sfile. tried the below set of commands. Both are giving the same error (: bad interpreter: No such file or directory) awk 'NF > 0' $Sfile > $Tfile cat $Tfile sed -i '/^$/d' $Sfile cat $Sfile Not sure if there's any other problem with... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deleting the last non blank line from a file

PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi reddy1
6 Replies
ANACRONTAB(5)						       Anacron Users' Manual						     ANACRONTAB(5)

NAME
/etc/anacrontab - configuration file for anacron DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/anacrontab describes the jobs controlled by anacron(8). Its lines can be of three kinds: job-description lines, environment assignments, or empty lines. Job-description lines are of one of these two forms: period delay job-identifier command @period_name delay job-identify command The period is specified in days, the delay in minutes. The job-identifier can contain any non-blank character, except slashes. It is used to identify the job in Anacron messages, and as the name for the job's timestamp file. The command can be any shell command. The fields can be separated by blank spaces or tabs. The period_name can only be set to monthly at the present time. This will ensure jobs are only run once a month, no matter the number of days in this month, or the previous month. Environment assignment lines are of the form: VAR = VALUE Spaces around VAR are removed. No spaces around VALUE are allowed (unless you want them to be part of the value). The assignment takes effect from the next line to the end of the file, or to the next assignment of the same variable. Empty lines are either blank lines, line containing white-space only, or lines with white-space followed by a '#' followed by an arbitrary comment. You can continue a line onto the next line by ending it with a ''. SEE ALSO
anacron(8) The Anacron README file. AUTHOR
Itai Tzur <itzur@actcom.co.il> Currently maintained by Pascal Hakim <pasc@(debian.org|redellipse.net)>. Pascal Hakim 2004-07-11 ANACRONTAB(5)