Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how much we can pipe in shell prompt ? Post 302354883 by adc22 on Sunday 20th of September 2009 05:16:02 PM
Old 09-20-2009
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Remember to use the syntax ${1} and ${11} rather than $1 and $11 when composing strings.
thanks methyl.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No shell prompt?

When I login to a specific machine (running Solaris 2.8; actually serveral machines behave this way), with a known good account, I don't get any shell prompt, and no screen responses to various commands such as ID and PWD. Any ideas on what is causing this, and how to change this behavior? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mufasa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt in sh shell

Hi, I´m using SCO Unix 5.0.5 and I want to configure de variable PS1, so when I type the command: cd /etc/ the prompt shows /etc/_> Is that possible with sh shell? I´ll appreciate your help. Thanks, a Happy New Year! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diegoe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell specific prompt

currently, I set my prompt in my .cshrc file as: set prompt = "%B%h %m %P %/ \n% " I have to use certain shells for some specific tasks and would like to set different prompts depending on the type of shell that I am using. Any advice? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranNfly
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird in Shell Prompt

Hi, I saw something in weird in Shell prompt. I did the following steps 1) Typed ls -l and pressed ESC without entering 2) Typed "v" (please notice that I did not type "i" after "v"), which opened vi editor 3) I see the "ls -l" command that I typed in shell prompt 4) Without modifying... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive shell through a pipe

I'm new to working with pipes, so I don't know whether the following is expected behaviour or a bug on the part of an application. Since Version 0.47, Inkscape provides a non-GUI interactive shell mode of operation. I am trying to time the program's performance in converting SVG files to PNG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccprog
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

7. AIX

Shell Scripting (prompt off)

Dear all experts, I have a script written to compress a list of files, during compressing, some of the files are having same name. When the compressing started, the same name file will be prompted with message whether to overwrite the old file. I need to enter "y" to continue. Is there any way I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

RFC - Korn shell prompt

Hi, I am learning shell scripting for the first time. I use AT&T Korn Shell, Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01, compiled from source on NetBSD. So far I have managed to set up what I think is a useful and pleasing shell prompt, which can be seen in the image attached to this post. The prompt is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gezley
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to create one's own pipe in one's own shell?

Good evening, I'm trying to do my own shell and I encountered some issues while creating it. Indeed when I try such a command I have DAUPHINE> DAUPHINE> ls -l | grep terminal > fichier DAUPHINE> cat fichier My shell is named DAUPHINE Whereas I should have: Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntoineCompagni
0 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)