Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: printing trailing dot
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting printing trailing dot Post 302354765 by proactiveaditya on Saturday 19th of September 2009 05:34:02 PM
Old 09-19-2009
A bit of output formatting problem

thanks vidyadhar85.

i have changed the script a bit:

function ind {
while : ; do
printf "."
sleep 1
done
}
printf "jre installation started"
ind &
IND_PID=$!
mv /bin/more /bin/more1
/root/jre-6u16-linux-i586.bin << EOF &> /dev/null && mv /bin/more1 /bin/more;rm -f /root/jre-6u16-linux-i586.bin
yes
EOF
kill -9 $IND_PID
echo "jre installation complete"

The output is:

[root@cntos5 ~]# sh jreinstall.sh
jre installation started..........jre installation complete

I just want the "jre installation complete" to come to the next line. I mean i want the output to be like:

jre installation started..........
jre installation complete

Plz help

---------- Post updated at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ----------

Really got stuck here...
can anyone help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Problems in unix ... ( Bar-cdoe - Ip Printing)

Hi guys ... i need ur help with some printing problem in unix ... first prob. : i wanna print from my NCR unix to an Win NT , Ip based printing server ( HP JetDirect ) . My issue , is it possible to print directly to an Ip address from unix ? How do i make it work to get any results ?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuickSilver
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dot files

Hi, everyone. I'm now using rsync command, and please tell me what is the wildcard for below looks like. I want to chose dotfiles, such as .ipod .apple but i don't want to chose . and .. ------------------ .* doesn't work, of course. Thanks, Euler04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
2 Replies

3. Linux

Regarding Dot Matrix Printing

Hi all, What I want is that can we manage printing a text file on a Dot Matrix printer installed on a Linux machine and the printer should not take the normal A4 format, but should print only to the extent the text file has text in it. What happen usually is that when we give print comand to any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman_mlt
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing G

Hello, I am trying to write a script that will calculate the amount of data remaining in a storage volume. I'm running Tru64 Unix version 5.1B patch kit 6. The script is being run against an AdvFS domain. I am programming in Korn Shell version M-11/16/88f. The basic idea is that I want to run df... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heathe_Kyle
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris mail routing to Windows SMTP server (trailing dot)

Hello, Firstly, appologies, i am a windows man but i'm picking things up really quickly.! We have some Unix boxes on our estate that route mail to a Windows SMTP server. This doesn't seem to work and after looking at the message headers it looks like the mail is getting bounced. :( -----... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: M2TTJ
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable name with dot(.)

Hi, Is it possible to declare variable with name having dot(.) in it ? something like gs.test='HELLO' Thanks in advance :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopalss
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Linux to Windows Printing: PDF starts printing from middle of page.

We are using Red Hat. We have a issue like this: We want to print from Linux, to a printer attached to a Windows machine. What we want to print is a PDF. It prints, but the printing starts from the middle of the page. In the report, there is no space at the top but still printing starts from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohan69
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix printing : jobs hangs in queue - printing via lp versus hpnpf

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name (hostname and ipadres are in /etc/hosts). This is the configuration file : Code: root@sco1 # cat configurationBanner: on:AlwaysContent types: simpleDevice:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mv or cp with a . (dot)?

How can I rename a file with a . prefix? I actually need to copy the file but the . seems to be very tough to do. mv ./bla ../fa/la/.bla - doesn't work. I've tried all sorts of bracketing and that doesn't work. Maybe the only way to do it would be to name the file _.bla then rename it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
19 Replies
updmerge(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       updmerge(8)

NAME
updmerge - DO NOT USE THE updmerge UTILITY! SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/updmerge [-r] directory /usr/bin/updmerge directory /usr/bin/updmerge file directory OPTIONS
Performs a recursive reinstallation of all the files and subdirectories in the /var/adm/install/update area relative to the specified directory. OPERANDS
Specifies the directory from which the reinstallation is relative, typically the root (/) directory. Specifies the name of a file in the update area, or specifies the relative pathname of that file from the update area. DESCRIPTION
Caution DO NOT USE THE updmerge UTILITY! The updmerge utility lets you merge files that have been preserved from a previous installation into a new installation environment. Any user file or customized file from a previous installation that you do not want replaced or overwritten can be saved and reintegrated into a new installation environment. You must have superuser privileges to invoke the updmerge utility, and the system must be in single-user mode. The updmerge utility must be invoked from the /var/adm/install/update directory, which is created by the updmv utility and contains entries for the files that have been preserved from the previous installation. Use the -r option followed by the directory operand to perform a recursive installation of all preserved subdirectories under the /var/adm/install/update area relative to a specific directory. Use the directory operand only to install only those preserved files directly under the /var/adm/install/update directory. This causes a non-recursive merge of the files in the specified directory. If you use the directory operand only, subdirectories in /var/adm/install/update are not merged into the new installation environment. Use the file operand followed by the directory operand to install a single preserved file. This file can be the name of the file in the /var/adm/install/update directory, or it can contain the relative pathname of that file from the /var/adm/install/update directory. If the file operand is a directory name instead of a file name, the updmerge utility reinstalls all files in that directory, but none in its subdirectories. To integrate files from the previous installation into the new installation environment, the updmerge utility compares each preserved file to the newly installed files with the following rules: If the preserved file does not exist on the system, you can view the preserved file before determining whether or not to install it. If the preserved file does exist on the system, you can view the differences between the preserved file and the newly installed file before selecting the file you want installed on the system. If a preserved file is identical to a newly installed file, a message is issued and the next file is checked. EXAMPLES
Recursively install all preserved subdirectories and files under /var/adm/install/update relative to the root (/) directory: updmerge -r / Install the preserved /etc/hosts file relative to the root (/) directory: updmerge etc/hosts / Install the preserved files in the etc directory relative to the root (/) directory (in this case, /etc): updmerge etc / RESTRICTIONS
Caution DO NOT USE THE updmerge UTILITY! You must have superuser privileges to invoke the updmerge utility. The system must be in single-user mode before you invoke the updmerge utility. The updmerge utility must be invoked from the /var/adm/install/update directory. FILES
Storage area created by the updmv utility. SEE ALSO
genufi(8), invsync(8), updmv(8), udetect(8), usync(8) stl_inv(4) updmerge(8)