Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to insert some word somewhere in the line with shell (or perl) Post 302354650 by tip78 on Saturday 19th of September 2009 05:36:16 AM
Old 09-19-2009
i will take your message and make it an example
i want it to looks like this:
it would be easier "HERE MY WORD" to understand your requirement and assist you if you show it with sample "HERE MY WORD TOO" file and desired output.

just putting my word somewhere inside your message
tip78

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert word in each line of a file

can someone tell me how can I insert a word in front of each line in a file. i tried with sed but didn't managed yet. Is there another command or this one(sed) works? 10x anyway. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert text before first line in perl

Hello all im doing simple parsing on text file , but now I need to insert string before the first line of the text file , how can I do that in perl? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace the first word of a line if it occurs again in the next line(shell)

Hi folks, have a look into the attachment, i am not familiar with unix, can you please help me in this regard. thanks in advance, :) regards, Geeko (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geeko
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to parse a line and insert a word

Hi All, I have a file like this, data1,data2,,,data5,data6. i want to write a shell script to replace data3 with "/example/string". which means my data file should look like this . data1,data2,example/string],,data5,data6. Could you guys help me to get a sed command or any other command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:How to insert a line to a file.

Hi, Perl is new to me. I am trying to insert a line to a file. Example: I have a file (trial.txt), content: ZZZZ AAA DDDD I am trying to insert CCC below AAA. MY perl command: open (FILE,"+>>C:\\Documents and Settings\\trial.txt\n")|| die "can't open file"; while(<FILE>) { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSGKT
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: replace multiple word on a line

Hi All, If I have a line as following: ( MA "vertical" ) How can I convert it to as below: ( BC "horizontal" ) Thanks, --Michael (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mxn731
6 Replies

9. Linux

How to insert new line in perl

HI, I have a text file in which I have removed all new lines as I would like to introduce a new line at the end of each record in the file. There is no common end line for all the records. A new record will start by *RECORD*. So I want to introduce a new line before this line *RECORD*. So Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies
GJITEN(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GJITEN(1)

NAME
gjiten - Japanese dictionary for Gnome SYNOPSIS
gjiten [ option ] DESCRIPTION
gjiten is a Japanese dictionary for the Gnome Desktop. It also has a kanji dictionary; any combination of stroke number, radicals and search key can be used for kanji lookups. Requires dictionary files in edict format and a working X Input Method (e.g. kinput2) for Japa- nese input. This manpage only explains the command line options. You should be able to access the complete documentation from the Help menu. OPTIONS
-c and -v are convenient for fast lookups via keyboard shortcuts. -k Same as --kanjidic --kanjidic Only show the KanjiDic window on startup. -w WORD Same as --word-lookup=WORD --word-lookup=WORD Look up WORD on startup. -l KANJI Same as --kanji-lookup=KANJI --kanji-lookup=KANJI Look up Kanji on startup in KanjiDic. -c Same as --clip-kanji --clip-kanji Look up kanji from the clipboard. -v Same as --clip-word --clip-word Look up word from the clipboard. --version Prints the version of gjiten BUGS
See the BUGS file for a list of bugs. The TODO file is more likely to contain these. Please contact me if you encounter any bugs. SEE ALSO
xjdic(1) AUTHORS
Botond Botyanszki (boti@rocketmail.com) 20 Jun 2002 GJITEN(1)